Live Review: Adam Wedd @ Gatehouse

Honest, earthy songs and quirky fashion sense abound in Adam Wedd’s visit to the embittered North

10407096 10152561440991309 5172586219895706420 n For a singer-songwriter like Adam Wedd the gatehouse is the perfect intimate environment. The oak beams and stone façade, resplendent with his array of merchandise from t-shirts to vinyls of his latest EP, seem to encapsulate his honest, earthy songs and quirky fashion sense.

Adam is in great form all night interspersing the moments between the songs with modest ramblings about the various meanings within his lyrics. Alongside his note perfect singing, his true power lies in his ability to really connect with the audience. Despite filling his songs with deep introspection he is a very personable and instantly likeable fellow, setting himself apart from the usual broken silent types who convene in coffee shops of this ilk strumming their guitar to tales of pain and heartache.

Even though his lyrics sometimes descend into open generalisations, his themes and content pertain to grand themes and allusions. He opens ‘Sons & Daughters’ with a touching story about his day job as a social worker, involving himself with youths from shattered backgrounds. Another song deals with Adam’s reaction to the death of Nelson Mandela as he toils with the grandiose themes of forgiveness, justice and redemption.

His effortless falsetto croon and catchy hooks are immediately at odds with his primitive song writing. Multiple songs are whipped up into cascading choruses and natural crescendos.

Despite being such a strong songwriter, its Adam’s covers that truly ignite the crowd. An off-the-cuff, jovial rendition of ‘Bear Necessities’ has the audience smiling from ear to ear. He also deals with his cover of U2’s ‘Where the streets have no name’ with a vast emotional wealth. Employing these covers exposes the uniqueness of Adam as an artist. Despite evoking the acoustic mellowness of Get Cape Wear Cape Fly or Ed Sheeran, Adam has added grit that renders the audience spellbound.

A disappointment was the size of the audience. As an up and coming artist from the south of England it is always a difficulty to attract a large crowd in the embittered North of the country. However, with Adam returning early next year it would be hoped that his ever-increasing stock would attract an audience worthy of his showmanship and quality.