Graduate Students’ Association election results announced

Two Student Trustees and ten Council Members were elected alongside a Vice-President (Postgraduate Student Activities) and Vice-President (Postgraduate Community)

The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) have announced the results of this term’s elections for the posts of Vice-President (Postgraduate Student Activities), Vice-President (Postgraduate Community), Council Members and Student Trustees.

Image: GSA

Image: GSA

Amal Fadil was elected Vice-President (Postgraduate Student Activities) while Alberto Luque Martinez is now Vice-President (Postgraduate Community). Urban Jaksa and Lijuan Xie both claimed Student Trustee positions, and ten new Council Members were also elected.

Voting for the positions started on Wednesday 19 November and closed on Tuesday 25 November, with nominations opening at the beginning of the month.

The two Vice-President positions are the only paid positions out of the ones students were able to run for this term. The roles involve 8 hours of work per week with an salary of £3,500 per year.

The Vice-President (Postgraduate Student Activities) role is responsible for organising postgraduate events, trips and sports and plays a major role in organising Welcome Week.

The Vice-President (Postgraduate Community) supports the Postgraduate Networks systems and represents the needs of the University “at Higher York, York City Council, and further afield”, while also being heavily involved in the GSA Community Fund.

The other 14 positions are voluntary. A Council Member is required to devote 3-4 hours per week to the role; they “fulfil loose representative roles” and “[look] after GSA policy” with the rest of the main GSA council. Student Trustees are required to dedicate up to 4 hours every three months to meetings of the Board of Trustees.

The GSA has a full-time President for the first time this year, Jelena Horvatic, who started her role in the first half of September this year. Horvatic was elected as GSA President at the beginning of June.

The full list of winners for the available positions is as follows:

Vice-President (Postgraduate Student Activities)
Amal Fadil

Vice-President (Postgraduate Community)
Alberto Luque Martinez

Council Members
Kelvin Elphick
Chen Qi
Qingyang Sun
Xiaoxin Li
Fang Guo
Siu Oi Ki (Kitty)
Man Jiang
Lijuan Xie
Yiliang Chen
Zhimin Lin

Student Trustees
Urban Jaksa
Lijuan Xie