New Chancellor appointed by University

Professor Sir Malcolm Grant will take over the position from 1 August

Image: Lam Thuy Vo

Grant at UCL in 2007. Image: Lam Thuy Vo

The University of York has announced that Professor Sir Malcolm Grant is to be its new Chancellor from 1 August next year.

He is to be the sixth Chancellor in the University’s 51-year history, succeeding Greg Dyke, chairman of the FA and former Director-General of the BBC, who has held the position for a decade.

As Chancellor, the formal head of the University, Grant will be expected to award degrees on behalf of the University and to chair the University’s Court, as well as act as an ambassador for the institution.

He said: “I am honoured to become Chancellor of this great university which has always represented a set of unimpeachable values. It has a passionate belief in social justice, freedom of speech, a respect for the individual and, above all, a commitment to the highest academic standards.

“I look forward to helping the University to achieve the next phase of its development at an enormously challenging time for Higher Education globally.”

Grant is currently chairman of NHS England, which aims to improve the quality of the country’s healthcare. As well holding many other roles, he was President and Provost of UCL between 2003 and 2013, and previously Pro-Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge and Professor and Head of Department of Land Economy.

The inauguration ceremony will take place at Central Hall, conducted by Koen Lamberts, Vice-Chancellor of the University of York.

In appreciation of Greg Dyke’s years as Chancellor, the Chair of the University’s Council, Sir Chris O’Donnell, said: “The University made an extremely wise decision when they invited Greg to become Chancellor in 2004. He has brought a wealth of experience, energy, enthusiasm and, above all, humanity to this crucial role. A number of events to mark Greg’s exceptional contribution to the University will be announced in the spring term.

“Greg often speaks of his gratitude for the way his time at York as an undergraduate changed his life for the better. Now it is the University’s turn to be in his debt, for a decade of remarkable service as Chancellor. We shall be sad to lose him but hope that he maintains his close association with the University and continues to be one of our most passionate advocates.”