Women’s water polo through to second round of BUCS

Impressive victory over Leicester sends York through to the BUCS Trophy second round

YORK 11-1 LEICESTER

York women’s water polo team progressed to the second round of the BUCS Trophy with a thumping win over Leicester. Captain Beth Richards’ side thrashed the midlands team  11-1 on Wednesday. After a fantastic season last year, with the White Rose being promoted into the Northern 1A league, this was set to be an exciting match. And the hosts did not disappoint.

With the first quarter being rather one-sided, York opened with an extremely impressive attack. Sarah Peacop won the first swim-off, which proved to be a consistent trend for the rest of the match. The Black & Gold were able to work the ball around Leicester with ease, and Fiona Whiting opened the scoring with a shot into the top corner.

Spurred on by this strong start, York’s defence turned the ball around efficiently. A sprint from Rachel Wood and pass in to Gillian Jago doubled York’s advantage. Strong communication and dominant midfield play from Beth Richards, Wood and Peacop created an opportunity for Whiting to score her second goal. Solid defensive work from Jago and Ellie Roche meant that Leicester were unable to attempt any shots in the first quarter. Another stunning finish from Whiting completed her hat-trick and left York 4-0 up at the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the visitors appeared to be more settled into the game. However, York were still the dominant side, with another two goals from Whiting putting them in a commanding position. Leicester’s first attempt at the goal was saved by Yasmeen Jhons, who swiftly turned the ball around and passed to Wood, who made a forceful sprint into York’s attacking half, only for her shot to be saved by the Leicester goalkeeper.

The away side were struggling to work the ball out of their own half, and an interception and sprint from Richards led to an unstoppable shot, which resulted in another York score. With Leicester beginning to get frustrated, the White Rose took full advantage and the passed the ball comfortably around the arc before a precise pass into Jago allowed her to bring the score to 8-0 at the end of the first half.

At the beginning of the third quarter, York understandably eased off the gas, and Leicester were able to capitalise. A slip in defence left a player unmarked and, despite Jhons’ best efforts, Leicester scored their first goal. However, York quickly re-established their eight-goal cushion with a goal from Richards. The rest of the quarter was more evenly matched, with both sides failing to take advantage of man-up situations, leaving the score at 9-1.

As the final quarter began, the travelling side seemed to lose composure as they began to tire, and Jago quickly put York into double figures with a shot in the top corner. Leicester attempted to fight back, but both of their shots were saved by Jhons. After seeing out the rest of the quarter comfortably, the impressive Whiting had the final say with a powerful goal which sailed past the keeper before the whistle blew, bringing the final score to 11-1.

This means that York will progress into round 2 of the BUCS Trophy, where they will play either Manchester Firsts or Edinburgh Seconds.

Captain Beth Richards commented: ‘The girls have had a strong start to the season but our toughest matches are yet to come. However everyone is playing well and I’m so proud of the development so far, so it’s looking promising!’

York: Jhons, Jago, How, Peacop, Richards (C), Whiting, Roche, Zilch, Chidwick, Wood, Newton.

1. Hey Dave, I have just seen your interview with Markus Rothkranz which was sent to me by The Real Food Channel. It blew me away to see you again after some time, you inrepsid me when you first gave your testimony some time back with Dan The Life Regenerator if I’m not mistaken.Anyhow, I am a trucker in Australia, and when I saw your testimony the first time I wanted that for me as well. I still do. And now you are AMAZING!!!!! and an INSPIRATION. But me, I have just been told a few days ago that I am losing protien just as you were. The only difference between me and you is that you have stuck with the decision and perservered. I am getting tired of battling this Type 2 Dave. I was diagnosed December2005 and I’ve been getting worse. I recently saw on the Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead DVD another trucker who did the exact same thing and he turned into a teenager. No less! You probably don’t know the layout of Australia, but I drive each week from Adelaide up through the centre of Australia to a couple of large opencut mines, supplying them with fuel for their machines. It is constant and arduous and I find it difficult to stay the course. But your interview blew me away. Congratulations Dave for your health success BUT I want that same outcome for me as well. Thankyou Dave and God Bless YOU!!!

2. Hi Dave~Thank you for doing what you are doing, not only in choosing a raw food lefsityle that saved your life (as we understand that as we do our own healing we help heal the rest of the planet), but in choosing to share your journey with the rest of us so that we may be inspired and uplifted by your story. Had you not chosen to share yourself this way so many would not have the opportunity to learn and grow with and from you. Your story is so beautiful because it is so real, and so unlikely, who ever heard of a raw food trucker?! Being a raw foodist and the daughter of a trucker, I appreciate your plight and deeply respect and support your health and life decisions. Your story has touched me and I feel that I finally have something to share to help my mother that she can relate to and save her own life through making similar healthy life choices. I know she will feel that if you could do it, so can she. Thank you dearly for that Dave.I am so proud of you, please keep up the good work and let us know how we can support you.Bless your Life and your Heart~Crystal