Vanbrugh double downs Wentworth

Vanbrugh consigned Wentworth to relegation from the Revolution Premier Division, after a quick double midway through the second half halted a resurging Wentworth in their tracks

Wentworth Firsts
1
4
Vanbrugh Firsts

James Hostford

A rallying Wentworth were pegged back by a quick double from Vanbrugh, who were at times struggling to cope with the postgrad’s physical style of play.

The first ten minutes set the tone, neither team we able to play flowing football which was encapsulated perfectly when the first goal came from a set piece

A blocked shot resulted in a corner, which Joe Watkins swung into a dangerous area and straight onto the head of Captain Joe Lund who nodded home for 1-0.

Lund nearly added a second with a dipping shot from the edge of the area which rattled the bar, but the second soon followed when Andriy Tabas scored a sublime effort.

When Wentworth’s towering centre-back, Erasmus Du Toit, headed a free kick clear, the ball fell to Tabas 30 yards out, who took one took and rifled an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

Vanbrugh were unable to capitalise on their first half dominance further – both Lund and Watkins missed fairly routine chances at the near post to put the game beyond doubt.

Wentworth, deservedly so, made Vanbrugh pay for their poor profligacy. Winger Nedley swung a good free-kick in from the left, which found the head of Mutlu Cukurova who glanced a header past a stranded Calum Lennox between the Vanbrugh sticks.

Much like Vanbrugh, Wentworth had good reason to bemoan missed chances. Stefan Nikloic squandered a good chance one-on-one with Lennox, and Du Toit headed narrowly over from a corner.

The postgrad’s undoing began with a penalty. A long ball dropped in front of defender Ben Keane and bounced onto his hand, prompting the referee to point to the spot. Watkins duly converted and restored Vanbrugh’s two goal cushion in the process.

Vanbrugh finally showed a glimpse of the quality that sees them finish third in this season’s Revolution Premier League to score their fourth. Lund broke down the left and pulled a good ball back to Oli Vyvyan who was able to beat his man and curl a smart finish into the far corner.

In truth, the victory flattered Vanbrugh and Wentworth were unlucky to lose but after speaking to Nouse, Wentworth skipper Erasmus Du Toit saw the benefits of relegation. He commented “It’ll do us good to play one league lower than this and get our shape and a good core of players.”

Vanbrugh Captain Joe Lund was critical of his side’s performance, telling Nouse, “We weren’t playing very well, especially in the second half. It was a very scrappy game and we played fairly poorly.”

Vanbrugh Firsts: C. Lennox, T. Siddle, K. Picknel, B. Dunkley, A. Tabas, O. Vyvyan, T. Carruthers, J. Lund (C), J. Watkins, M. Polts, A. Miller. Subs: C. Long, E. Glanville.

Wentworth Firsts: M. Taylor, B. Keane, E. Du Toit (C), A. Collins, C. Clemo, M. Cukurova, N. Muhlack, S. Nedley, S. Nikolic, R. O’Finiday, Carl Hodgson. Subs: K. Kennedy, G. Ekembe

Player of the Match: Joe Watkins