Girl on Campus

sheds some light on current trends

It may sound cliché to begin with a moan about the weather, but you have to admit, this past week in York has resembled something more like a monsoon than just some autumnal showers – we have lakes springing up in the middle of church lawns! In times like these you need something to bring up your mood, and Kim Kardashian came to the rescue with her recent shoot for Paper magazine. The publication intended to “break the internet” by publishing naked photos of the overexposed reality star. French photographer, Jean-Paul Goude, said the images are an homage to some of his 1970s photographs of black women. Bad taste doesn’t quite cover it, but the social media coverage of mock recreations of ‘that’ photo of Kim’s ass could brighten any student’s library stint. My favourite so far has been the Krispy Kreme doughnut comparison, in joint position with Kim K’s rear being used as a bike stand and Boris himself riding the bike.

A few months ago when I saw the advert of Cara Delevingne and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley strutting around the streets of London in their monogrammed Burberry capes, I knew I needed to find a version slightly more in my price range. Of course, this thought didn’t coincide with one  such as, “these girls are models, what they wear might not look good on a short girl.” Ever since, I have been stalking the shops for a vintage style, shawl cape, and last weekend I thought I had hit the jackpot in Topshop, and for only £30. As I strutted into the living room to show off my purchase to my housemates, I was greeted with a “yee ha” as one ‘dear’ friend exclaimed that I looked like a cowboy at a rodeo, while another asked if it was a new blanket to put on my bed, neither of which shout ‘model off duty’!

This month’s ‘the place to be’ event associated with the University was the ‘Kits & Tinsel’ charity fundraiser hosted in Banyan by UYNC. The dress code was a black and white affair, with the addition of sparkle as a must-have accessory. Seeing as I’ve already caught the Christmas countdown bug – who hasn’t after the release of John Lewis’ and M&S’ Christmas adverts – I couldn’t resist opting for all over sequins. My outfit envy of the night had to be a black and white tailored jumpsuit worn by a remarkably tall (even when I was wearing my friend’s dangerously high Carvela heeled boots) brunette. Two words: “Where from?”