UYTC Men’s first pick Leeds apart

Patience and perseverance were key to the firsts’ victory, as some battled back from deficits and others cruised to victory

York Men's Firsts
10
2
Leeds Beckett Men's Thirds

James Hostford

York dominated the majority of the matches against Leeds 2nds, running out convincing 10-2 winners

Captain Sam Davies and Steve Le Cornu proved to be an effective team in the first doubles rubber of the tie. Le Cornu’s serve was looking particularly imperious at the start of the match, but some inconsistent net play from both him and Davies made sure their opponents stayed in the first set longer than they should have. This all changed in the second set, when the York duo took charge, bossing from the front and back of the court, meaning they bageled their opponents to win the match 6-4 6-0.

James Shaw did not have as much luck in his match, despite showing intermittent flashes of quality. Shaw was not allowed to play thanks to some brutal forehands from his opponent, and the speed on the ball gave Shaw no time to manoeuvre the ball onto his opponent’s weaker backhand. Shaw looked better as the rallies went on, but this was rarely allowed by his opponent who ended the match in characteristic, ripping a forehand which forced an error, sealing a 2-6 2-6 loss for Shaw.

Sean Marren’s singles match was the first of two three setters the York man was involved in during the tie. Marren’s superior fitness and movement helped him open up gaps to aim into, but he undid his hard work by hitting too many unforced errors in the first set, handing it on a plate to his opponent. As the match went on and his opponent wore down thanks to some wonderful drop shots from the baseline, Marren’s hold of serve became more convincing, and his started breaking his opponent’s previously impenetrable serve. The next two sets were dominated by Marren, and he ran out 3-6 6-1 6-0 winner.

In his singles rubber, Le Cornu carried his doubles form into the singles. Both players were hitting hard from the baseline, but the opponent was not able to match Le Cornu blow for blow. Despite looking comfortable on the scoreline, Le Cornu was bemoaning his unforced errors but he still served out to win 6-2 6-4.

Captain Davies sealed his team’s victory with a dominant performance. The match started with the players exchanging errors, and then going through long, punishing rallies but it was not long until Davies got into an unstoppable rhythm. He was somehow able to stay calm despite his opponent’s somewhat unjust and personal outbursts to take a routine match 6-2 6-1.

The second doubles rubber saw Nils Morosz step in alongside Sean Marren and it took the pair a short while to gel together and for Marren to get into his stride whilst still recovering from a physically strenuous singles match. This was inconsequential in the first set, however, when Marren and Morosz took the set 6-3. Although the tie was decided at this point, both teams still seemed determined to take the spoils, although it was clear that York were not troubled by what would usually be frustrating errors. Leeds were serving well to set up easy volleys at the front, and took the second 3-6 thanks to a wonderful inside-out forehand to set up a tantalising final set. York’s duo re-found their form from the first set and raced to a 10-4 win the final set.

Captain Sam Davies told Nouse after the match, “We’ll be joint first now. We were hoping for promotion and we’ve done a lot of training for it and we’re getting there.” When he was quizzed about his opponent’s comments in his own match, Davies was diplomatic, commenting, “Tennis is very frustrating. It happens in the game, you have to take it and ignore it.”

York 1sts: Sam Davies, Steve Le Cornu, Sean Marren, James Shaw, Nils Morosz