Goodricke surge towards safety

Goodricke enjoy a comfortable 6-2 victory against Alcuin to soothe relegation fears

Goodricke Firsts
6
2
Alcuin Firsts

Revolution Premier League

James Hostford

Goodricke, having failed to register a win this term, returned to dominate in a comfortable 6-2 victory in this term’s Revolution Premier League. Alcuin failed to impose themselves on the game following a high-tempo start, as Goodricke fought hard knowing this was a ‘must-win’ game.

Goodricke’s intention was clear from the beginning, with strong challenges and well worked build-up play. Their determined mentality paid-off early in the first-half as midfielder Luke Sides opened the scoring. The attack was swift and effective, starting from Billy Bruce’s lofted through-ball pass to striker Matt Jeffery, who was able to play Sides in on goal.

Goodricke continued to dominate possession, with injured captain Aâron Sullivan spurring his team on from the side-lines. The attacking trio of Billy Bruce, Luke Sides and James Lewis created an array chances, resulting with Goodricke doubling their lead through Matt Jeffery. Jeffery met James Lewis’ whipped-in cross with a powerful header, beating an Alcuin goalkeeper who could have done more.

However, the Hes East side were faced with their own problems, as Billy Bruce’s show-boating, which at times impressed bystanders, largely left his teammates and Goodricke captain frustrated as he slowed down play, allowing Alcuin to defend in numbers. Unfortunately, feeling the remainder of a strong challenge, Bruce was briefly subbed-off in order to recover. Nevertheless, Goodricke pushed on with a third goal, as Connor Boyle’s converted from James Lewis’ corner kick.

Alcuin were resilient and a great counter-attack led to them pulling one back. Clever play from Jeremy Nestor gave Jack McConnell the space to beat the off-side trap and chip the Goodricke goalkeeper, bringing the score to 3-1.

Goodricke replied almost instantly, with right-winger James Lewis scoring a spectacular free kick. The cross-come-shot was hit powerfully and accurately as it flew into the top right corner of the goal, sliding through the hands of the Alcuin goalkeeper who, again, should have done better. Connor Boyle proved vital to Goodricke’s dominance, as he controlled the midfield. Boyle was able to facilitate the transition from defence to attack as he made the most of his teammates’ runs with decisive passing. Goodricke’s confidence grew as they looked to see the game out and secure their first win of the season. While, Alcuin slumped, as they failed to create any chances for long periods of time during the first-half, coming closest with midfielder Andy Fernando’s low shot.

However, Alcuin seemed rejuvenated after a half-time talk from captain Peter Kennick, with defenders Joe Turner and Karl Pickar making their presence known to Goodricke striker Matt Jeffery. Alcuin remained motivated and began to put pressure on Goodricke, which led them Goodricke committing unnecessary fouls. Consequently, Karl Pickar was able to head home from Matt Barrie’s well delivered free kick, giving Alcuin their second goal of the game.

Goodricke did not rest on their laurels, and continued to chase another goal. This time, Connor Boyle secured his second of the game taking the score to 5-2. Boyle was the spine of the Goodricke team, always looking to move forward in attack but also sit-back and hold a defensive position when required.

Towards the end of the game both sides came close to scoring. Alcuin’s Jack McConnell was clearly robbed of a penalty as he was brought down in the Goodricke box. While, Goodricke’s creative talent, Billy Bruce, struck the cross-bar with an effort from distance.

Goodricke captain, Aaron Sullivan, spoke to Nouse at full-time. He said, “the boys played unbelievably today, it seems it all clicks too late in the season, but we seem to have avoided relegation now”.

Sullivan praised Connor Boyle’s performance, acknowledging he “dictated play in midfield”. Sullivan now looks onto next term, where he aims to lead Goodricke into the top four.

Goodricke (4-2-3-1): Woolley (GK), Thomas, Carmichael, Anderson, Duffin, Boyle, Lithur, Bruce, Lewis , Sides, Jeffery. Subs: Tandy, Courtney

Alcuin (4-4-2): Richardson (GK), Kennick (C), Turner, Pickar, Houlgate, Barrie, Fernando, McConnell, Nestor, McLarty, Garn. Subs: Harget, Vic, Perera

Man of the Match: Connor Boyle

1. the score was 6-2:

James lewis 1
    Connor Boyle 2
    Matt Jeffery 2
    Luke Sides 1