College Netball Round-Up: Derwent dominate in the Tent

netballjamesgoodricke 640×426

Image: Aggie Torrance

DERWENT 20 – 5 GOODRICKE

Derwent dominated to win 20-5 against Goodricke in the first game of the afternoon. Both teams started quickly with possession changing hands several times before Derwent scored the opening goals to take an early 2-0. Goodricke fought hard to take the next point and keep only a one-point deficit between the two teams.

However, it was Derwent who would prove to be the stronger team in the first half, communicating well to pass the ball up court and defending strongly despite Goodricke’s best efforts. Making the most of both their own and Goodricke centres, Derwent went on to score a further eleven goals and head into half time winning 13-1.

Derwent yet again came out strongly to take the first score, but Goodricke refused to give up, netting the next two in quick succession to try and decrease the gap. However, Derwent’s strong communication and pressure on the Goodricke defence meant that it was Derwent who came out on top, with a strong 20-5 win.

HALIFAX 21 – 13 VANBRUGH

In the second game both Halifax and Vanbrugh fought hard, but it was Halifax who ultimately came out on top despite having only six players to Vanbrugh’s seven. Halifax took an early 6-1 lead defending strongly and intercepting the ball wherever possible. However, Vanbrugh refused to stand back and fought back well, using their extra player to ensure they went into half time with only a wo-point gap, losing 10-8.

Halifax again opened the scoring in the second half, and extending their lead. Yet again, Vanbrugh refused to yield and clawed their way back into the game, making it 14-10. However, Halifax showed their dominance letting in only three more Vanbrugh goas while scoring another nine themselves, ending the game with a comfortable 21-13 victory.

ALCUIN 8 – 8 WENTWORTH

An evenly-matched Alcuin and Wentworth competed well in the third match of the afternoon to end the game level at 8-8. Alcuin took an early 3-0 lead and appeared the stronger of the two initially, however, Wentworth quickly drew level. Despite strong defensive interceptions by both teams, it was Alcuin who went into half time with a lead of 6-3, having gotten another three goals past the Wentworth defence.

Wentworth reacted immediately in the second half to once again bring the scores level, this time at 7-7. From then on it became a battle to see who could score with both teams exerting high pressure on the opposition’s attack. Alcuin took the lead 8-7 but were unable to maintain the gap, with Wentworth also scoring to end the game with an 8-8 draw.

JAMES 25-4 LANGWITH

In the final match James showed why they are top of the table, dominating play to beat Langwith 25-4. James took the early lead 5-0, despite some strong efforts by Langwith to put themselves on the scoreboard. When Langwith did seize the chance to score their first goal, James responded immediately with three of their own. Nonetheless, Langwith refused to give up and a strong shot at the net from distance resulted in them heading into half time losing 10-2.

Despite strong defensive efforts by the Langwith team, James again opened the scoring, extending their lead to 12-2. Yet Langwith again fought hard to get another two goals past the James defence, bringing the score to 15-4. Nonetheless, it was too late and the strong communication of the James team was in evidence as they passed the ball down the line to score another ten goals while refusing to allow Langwith the opportunity to lessen the deficit resulting in a dominant 25-4 win for league leaders, James.