Women’s hockey firsts brush Newcastle aside

Solid defence provided a platform for York to attack with flair and record a convincing win to advance in this season’s Conference Cup

UYHC Women's 1sts
6
0
Newcastle Women's 3rds

James Hostford

Conference Cup

A game that was played in good spirits got off to the worst possible start. Polly Sedgewick was challenged from the wrong side by a Newcastle player, who was caught on the jaw by the follow through and had to be taken off.

Upon the restart, York looked solid – Hutchinson and Atkinson providing able cover for York’s high pressing. This pressing brought early success, when the ball broke for York and was worked to Minerva Saner who had a simple finish for 1-0.

UYHC looked good down the flanks, with Lindsay O’Brien and Lucy Holmes frequently troubling the Newcastle defence with their direct running. This threat proved decisive in the second goal when O’Brien set off on a mazy run after receiving the ball from Saner, who carried on her run to be in the right position to slot a finish when O’Brien squared across the goal.

The second half started in the same vein as the first, with York pressing well and the Newcastle goalkeeper providing the only real resistance to the UYHC waves of attack.

Newcastle threatened with some counter attacks of their own, leading Laura Atkinson to put in some challenges that must have tried the umpires’ patience.

The threat of a Newcastle comeback was quelled quickly with a third goal from York. Cordingley knocked the ball into the path of Atkinson who had made a bursting run forward. She laid the ball off to Sedgewick who slotted calmly to put her team 3-0 up.

Sedgewick grabbed her second and York’s fourth with a scrappy effort. She battled three Newcastle defenders for the ball, and was rewarded for her endeavour with a relatively simple reverse finish.

O’Brien got her name on the scoresheet with an outstanding individual effort. After receiving the ball from Warmington, another weaving run from O’Brien saw her break into the Newcastle box and scoop a clever finish across the goal.

O’Brien turned provider for Warmington as York wrapped up the victory. An intelligent ball from O’Brien saw Warmington free on the edge of the box and, after encouragement from the onlooking crowd, she rifled a shot into the corner to cap an impressive performance from all those in black and gold.

The score could have been even worse for Newcastle had York made the most of their penalty corners, illustrated perfectly when, at the death, York saw a short go to waste after miscontrolling twice, but the game was over long ago.

Captain Katie Penrose spoke to Nouse after the match, and was obviously delighted, telling us, “obviously it was a good result, our biggest BUCs victory of the season.” Not to get carried away, Penrose was already looking forward to the next round, commenting “We don’t know who we have got in the next round. It’s either Durham 3’s who are in our league or our own York 2’s.” The UYHC captain was keen to praise her vice-captain Alice Young, who had taken charge at the start of the match in Penrose’s absence, telling us “Vice-Captain Alice Young did a really good job of looking after the team today.”

UYHC Squad: E. Furber (GK), A. Young, I. Hutchinson, A. Woodruff, R. Mason, L. Atkinson, K. Penrose (C), L. O’Brien, H. Warmington, H. Page, M. Saner, P. Sedgewick, R. Cordingley, L. Holmes

Player of the Match: Lindsay O’Brien

1. Hi, I am interested in your scoohl because of your ethos of hands on learning and outdoor creative play. However I am worried we don’t fit into your catchment area. I am in Longbenton, near Heaton. Postcode is NE77NQ. I have a 3 year old little girl who I would like to register for sept 2013. If we fit your catchment area are there any activities we could get involved in or anything you would like any help with?Best wishesSophie