URY win Student Radio Award

University Radio York’s News and Sports team won an award for their York river safety programme

The News and Sport teams of University Radio York (URY) have won a silver award for Journalistic Programming in this year’s Student Radio Awards for their programme focusing on river safety in York.

Photo credit: Nate Chervek

Photo credit: Nate Chervek

River Safety: York’s Rising Problem centred around the recent river deaths in York, and the risks that the Ouse poses to students who have been drinking on a night out.

The documentary included interviews with the family and friends of Ben Clarkson and Megan Roberts, who lost their lives during separate incidents on nights out during the previous academic year. It featured a blend of interviews and an in-depth report into the Street Angels safety-promoting scheme.

The awards were announced at the O2 Arena in London on 6 November, where Ben Bason, George Lane and Carys Brain, the producers of the programme, were praised for bringing the river safety issues in York to light. The hour-long programme also included survival tips from the York Rescue Boat team, a charity set up recently to further the safety of the rivers in York. The team patrol the river often, and also aim to raise awareness and education about river safety.

The award winning programme followed several river deaths in past few years, including the recent cases of Ben Clarkson and Megan Roberts. Clarkson drowned in the River Foss after leaving Fibbers nightclub in March, whilst Megan Roberts, a Fine Art student of York St John’s, drowned during a night out in February.

Their deaths prompted a coroner at an inquest into Roberts’ death to issue a warning about the dangers of heavy drinking in York last month.