Men’s firsts dismantle Durham

UYHC gave a second-half lesson in attacking play to Durham 4’s in the Conference Cup, running out 6-0 winners against a lacklustre opposition and setting up a potential clash against Leeds 2’s

UYHC Men's 1sts
Durham Men's 4ths
Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Conference Cup

York started the game as they meant to go on, fast forays forward and relentless pressure culminating in defensive errors from their opposition and chances aplenty.Durham conceded two quick penalty corners in succession, both resulting in half chances for York but nothing to really trouble the opposition goalkeeper.

Early pressure from York allowed forward Leo Watton to begin making his mark on the game when a mazy run earned him two bites of the cherry, but his first shot was blocked and he flashed a second past the far post.

Despite good play from York, their first goal came in scrappy fashion. Phil Blackburn found himself free down the left, and put in a good ball for Matt Guy whose scuffed reverse found Harry Oakley to tap the ball in for a 1-0 lead which York held onto until the break.

The start of the second half brought the start of a flurry of goals. Durham helped York on their way with some comical defending, when a harmless ball in was miscontrolled by a defender. The ball looped over the goalkeeper’s head after he had come out to meet the cross, and fell to Jono Butler to tap in his second goal for UYHC.

York’s pressure paid off again, when Leo Watton jostled with a defender deep inside the Durham half, and forced the opponent to give the ball away. Watton unselfishly squared the ball to Sam Richardson who expertly fired into the Durham goal to make it 3-0.

The fourth goal saw Watton provide another gift for one of his teammates. Having shown a penchant for deft flicks in the first half, the York forward was finally rewarded for his innovation when he diverted a low ball through a crowd of defenders to Tiarnan Cotter at the back post who gladly slotted home to put the game well beyond Durham.

The score line gave Leo Watton the chance to embarrass Durham defenders, at once point turning his marker inside out with an intelligent touch and run to the by-line, but his sliding cross evaded his teammates.

Another Durham mistake was punished by York. Under pressure, a defender slipped and left a routine finish for Harry Oakley to double both his and York’s tally.

York’s fifth was a quick counter. A ball into Captain Nish Selvakumar – who was a constant nuisance to the Durham midfield all game – was brushed out wide to Phil Ratliff, who swept his pass into the middle. Leo Watton met the ball fractionally before the Durham ‘keeper and chip the ball into the net amid complaints from the opposition that the ball struck his leg.

York completed the rout with another sweeping move. Leo Watton picked out Cotter who had found space at the back post. Cotter fired the ball across the goal into the far corner, making the score reflect York’s dominance.

Skipper Selvakumar spoke to Nouse, and was obviously pleased with the performance. “[It was] a great result. Everyone played really well.

” He found time to praise two of his forwards, commenting, “Leo Watton was outstanding, Tiernan Cotter also had a very good game.”

UYHC Squad: Chaundy (GK), D. Stevens, J. Butler, J. Sherrington-Scales, D. Hibbins, P. Newton, N. Selvakumar (C), T. Cotter, J. Aldridge, L. Watton, S. Richardson, P. Ratliff, M. Guy, P. Blackburn, E. Farmery, H. Oakley

Player of the Match: Leo Watton

Leave a comment

Please note our disclaimer relating to comments submitted. Please do not post pretending to be another person. Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.