Hard-fought win for Derwent

Derwent’s winning streak continues in this terms’ Revolution Premier League, as they overcame a tough Vanbrugh side

Derwent Firsts
4
2
Vanbrugh Firsts

Revolution Premier League

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Derwent eventually overpowered a well organised Vanbrugh side today as they seek to finish this term as Revolution Premier League victors. While Vanbrugh threatened to cause upset, the persistence of in-form Derwent ensured they secured all three points in what was an ominous display of grit and determination.

It was a rather cagey opening, with Vanrugh’s pressing game restricting Derwent’s usual free-flowing play. The game sprung into life when Vanbrugh took an unexpected lead through Oli Vyvyan following a corner. The ball was whipped in to a dangerous area and Vyvyan muscled his way to meet the ball, scrambling home the opener. Derwent soon began to find their feet with Henry Ferrao a delight to watch on the flank, with his trickery and tidy footwork proving problematic for the Vanbrugh defenders. He was rewarded for his endeavours following astute wing play by striker Jamie Trant, who teed up Ferrao on the edge of the Vanbrugh penalty area. Ferrao hit a first time effort with the outside of the boot which rocketed into the Vanbrugh net. Vanbrugh held firm, despite the equaliser, and their resolute defending saw both teams reach the break level.

The pattern of play remained very much the same as the second half kicked off. Vanbrugh’s implementation of a three man midfield provided a solidity in the middle of the park. Certainly, Troy Carruthers, Oli Vyvyan and Joe Watkins’ dogged work constrained Derwent’s central players as they refused to allow the opposition sufficient time on the ball, persistently breaking up the play. Vanbrugh would have then taken the lead had it not been for an outstanding piece of goalkeeping by Charlie Cooper. A Vanbrugh free kick was knocked down towards tenacious front man Liam Sides, who found himself with only the keeper to beat. However, Cooper read the situation and sprawled himself in front of the attacker, his outstretched arm preventing a certain goal.

Derwent’s attacking play was beginning to click and they soon took the lead through Jamie Trant. Following a rather direct lofted pass by central defender Mike Whittall, Trant’s clever run saw him control the ball first time before guiding the ball neatly passed on rushing Vanbrugh keeper Max Donnel-Ford. Recognising that Vanbrugh were still dominating the midfield, captain Ryan Gwinnett made an shrewd tactical decision in bringing Mark Askham into a central role, having played right back for the majority of the match. This shored up the midfield allowing Derwent licence to roam and orchestrate attacks. Eloka Ntephe then jinxed passed his man before unleashing a driven cross that flashed across goal. Whittall was on hand to increase Derwent’s advantage, making no mistake as he met the cross with a header from close range.

Vanbrugh’s resilience was clear to see as they soon narrowed Derwent’s lead through full back Andriy Tabas. A rather agricultural challenge from goalscorer Whittall resulted in a free kick which was met by the head of Tabas, after keeper Cooper failed to claim. The match was soon settled thanks to Trant who netted his second of the game. The impressive Ferrao cut in and played a delightful through ball into the path of Trant who duly slotted home to make the score 4-2.

Derwent were ultimately able to see out the remainder of the game as they triumphed over an admirable Vanbrugh side.

Ryan Gwinnett, Derwent captain, spoke to Nouse after the game and said, “We didn’t match them physically in the first half, which was a disappointment, but we improved in the second half.”

Gwinnett praised the team’s second half performance stating, “We started playing the ball a lot more and the last half an hour was the best we have played all season.”

Vanbrugh captain Joe Lund was equally complimentary of his sides’ performance saying “I’m very pleased with how we played, we had a lot of defensive injuries and Derwent were very good today”

Derwent: Cooper (GK), Askham, Bell, Whittall, Reynolds, Naylor, Ntephe, Gwinnett (C), Ferrao, Low, Trant.

Vanbrugh: Donnel-Ford (GK), Siddle, Picknel, Tabas, Franklin, Carruthers, Vyvyan, Watkins, Lund (C), Polts, Sides. Substitute: Miller

Man of the Match: Henry Ferrao