TV Review: Strictly Come Dancing Week 6

Strictly goes spooky for Halloween. reviews

Strictly Come Dancing 2014

Strictly went all spooky this week with its Halloween special; and there were plenty of tricks and treats. This week there was no Claudia Winkleman, and her sarcastic comments and dry wit was sorely missed. Zoe Ball, the usual Strictly: It Takes Two host, stepped into Claudia’s shoes, and she didn’t disappoint, providing plenty of entertaining humour. Would she be a good duo with Claudia instead of Tess? Probably, but Tess won’t be standing down anytime soon.

Anyway, this week the couples all dressed up in spooky costumes with Halloween related songs. And guess what happened this week? The first ten of the series was given! Yes, technically Donny Osmond gave the first ten, but he was a guest judge and his marking made no sense so I’m not really counting it. But this ten came from Bruno and it was given for Frankie and Kevin’s (did you know that he is from Grimsby?) tango to Wicked’s ‘Defying Gravity.’ Frankie even made green face paint look good. The tango was fast, sharp and clean. Craig even whacked out the ‘Fab-u-lous’ for the dance. In the end Frankie and Kevin topped the leader board with 37 points this week.

Meanwhile Judy and Anton found themselves at the bottom once again, but this time they did manage to get 20 points. Judy’s American Smooth had a 101 Dalmatians theme, and there were even two dogs at the start of the dance. And before you ask, yes, they were the best part of the dance. DJ Scott Mills only just managed one more point than Judy with his foxtrot based on the Addams Family. One good thing which came from the dance was the accentuation of the music, but apart from that Bruno suggested that Scott should do pantomime with Craig.

There were multiple couples in the middle of the leader board who failed to impress. Alison and Alijaz’s American Smooth to Kate Bush’s ‘Wuthering Heights’ had sketchy footwork, Simon and Kristina’s Paso Doble didn’t have the shaping the judges wanted, and Sunetra and Brendan’s jive lacked in kicks and flicks. Steve and Ola’s Charleston was full of jaw dropping lifts, and at one point it did look as though Ola wouldn’t need fake blood as Steve almost dropped her, but he messed up sections of the dance and the judges claimed he was over-challenged. Caroline and Pasha’s samba scored 32 points and Bruno described it as ‘sizzling’ and ‘satanic’. Caroline was criticised for her moves seeming too precise, whilst pop star Pixie was criticised for having a strained right arm from Len. Pixie and Trent did score 33 for their tango whilst Mark and Karen scored 35 for their jive. Disappointingly, Eastenders star Jake Wood only managed a score of 29 for his Paso Doble which was criticised for its lack of shaping and stomping footwork. As one of the favourites to win the competition he needs to do more to stay on top of the leader board.

It was the turn of Scott and Joanne and Alison and Alijaz to face the dance off. Judy Murray survived another week. The dance off ended with Scott and Joanne being kicked out of the competition and Alison and Alijaz returning next Saturday. Strictly is back next weekend and you can probably put bets on Judy being bottom of the leader board again. Seriously, just check out the odds.

Best Dance of the Night: Frankie and Kevin’s tango was definitely the dance of the night.

Cringe worthy moment of the night: The training footage was more difficult to watch than ever with terrible jokes and bad acting. Just stick to the dancing.

Best Line: “She was supposed to be with Cruella DeVil, not Ginger Rogers” – Anton Du Beke keeping things honest with Judy’s dancing.