RAG Week gets underway

The money raised will be split between the college charities

The University of York’s annual Raising and Giving (RAG) Week begins today, starting with a screening of Jersey Boys in partnership with York Student Cinema this evening.

rag parade 2014

In a change from previous years, the money raised from this year’s RAG Week will be split between the college charities rather than being donated to one charity.

Alcuin has chosen Great Ormand Street Hospital as their charity, whilst Goodricke, James, Halifax and Langwith are raising money for Mencap, Bliss, Macmillan Cancer Support and Hope For Children respectively.

Derwent’s charity is Children With Cancer, whilst Vanbrugh is raising money for Médecins Sans Frontières.

The college-led RAG events include a bake sale in Market Square hosted by Alcuin, a Derwent quiz and a UV dodgeball event held by James.

Both Goodricke and Langwith are holding bar crawls as part of RAG week, while Vanbrugh is putting on a Cuban Night and Halifax is doing a ‘Row For RAG’ event in JJ’s.

Other events include a Disney-themed Zumba session, a game of Capture the Flag and a ‘grubcrawl’ in which participants are invited to eat a different course at four mystery restaurants in York.

There will also be a talk about how psychological research has suggested that spending money on others, for example by donating to charity, is a good way to make people happier, and the library has once again agreed to donate any library fines which are paid during the week.

On Saturday evening, a ‘Big RAG Night In’ will take place in the Roger Kirk Centre with student performances from Dance Society, Comedy Society and Band Society.

The event, which is based on Macmillan Cancer Support’s Nights In where people donate the money they would have spent going out to charity instead, will also see the return of a student-version of the dating game show Take Me Out.

RAG week will end with an awards ceremony to celebrate students’ fundraising efforts followed by a night out in Vodka Revolution.

Georgia Paton, RAG Officer, told Nouse she was “very excited” for RAG Week and “for all of the events to kick off”.

Last year, almost £5,000 was raised during RAG Week, with £955.47 being raised during the RAG parade (pictured above).