TV Review: Strictly Come Dancing Week 5

This year’s Strictly contenders are already dancing on top form… just don’t mention Judy Murray’s Charleston. reviews

Strictly Come Dancing 2014

Week five of Strictly Come Dancing hit our screens this weekend and the leader board was proving that there is scarcely a bad dancer in sight…if you don’t count Judy Murray’s and Scott Mills’s points. Strictly seems to have been going on for weeks, but that is testament to the high standard of dances which have been shown this early on in the competition. Usually the nine panels only come out so often during the quarter finals and  thereafter, but this year the dancers are already on form. Is it too early to call out the finalists? Probably, but if Jake Wood doesn’t make it then I am pretty certain Len is going to pickle those walnuts of his. Jake may not have been top of the board, but his quickstep to ‘I’m Still Standing’ was a crowd-pleaser for opening the show. Although ‘I’m Still Standing’ should be a song reserved for Jill Halfpenny’s brilliant jive in Season Two, and if you haven’t seen that then get on YouTube for a Strictly education. But Jake didn’t manage to come top this week; instead it was Caroline Flack and Pixie Lott who spent this week joint top. Pixie’s samba and Caroline’s paso doble managed to score 35 points. Frankie Bridge and Kevin ‘from Grimsby’ Clifton also managed a charmingly cute foxtrot to make you feel nauseous or sigh ‘ah’ depending on your mood. Mark Wright made Essex proud with Karen Hauer; after being in the bottom two last week he bounced back with a shimmy-tastic samba. Rugby star Thom Evans failed to impress with a lack of shaking hips for his cha-cha. Alison Hammond’s flat footed tango seemed dreary and Simon Webbe lacked finesse when it came to his waltz. But they obviously weren’t as bad as Judy Murray and Scott Mills who both had the pleasure of dancing a Charleston which lacked swivel and placement. Perhaps the surprises of the night came in the form of Steve Backshall and Sunetra Sarker who both delivered romantic waltz’s respectively. Dark horses of the competition perhaps?

But in the end it was Thom and Iveta who found themselves in the dance off along with Simon and Kristina. Both couples didn’t receive the best scores of the night, but they hardly deserved to be in the dance off. But who can criticise the British voting public? With two votes to save Thom and Iveta it looked like a done deal, but with Bruno voting to save Simon and Kristina it was down to Len to cast the deciding vote. You’ll find no X Factor deadlock here. Unfortunately it was Thom and Iveta who left the competition whilst Simon and Kristina live to dance another week. Did they deserve to go? Technically not, but the public have had their say and they want more of Scott and Judy, just like they wanted more of John Sergeant a few series back. On the bright side next week is Halloween so make sure to get in the spirit with a spooky costume…or just some novelty Halloween Haribos if it’s easier.

Best Moment of the Night: Claudia Winkleman. Her wit will never get boring.

Worst Dance of the Night: Charleston. Judy and Anton and Scott and Joanne…just not a good week for the Charleston.

Best Line: ‘Vulgar gyrations’. Craig did not appreciate Mark Wright’s derriere in his face.