Captioning to be provided on all university videos

Thomas Ron, Disabled Students’ Officer, said he was “delighted” with the move

Captions are to be introduced on all videos centrally produced by the University of York.

Photo Credit: Nouse

Photo Credit: Nouse

Audio on the videos will be displayed as subtitles, allowing people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing to have access to the information. The captioning will also be beneficial for people with English as a second language.

The Disabled Students Network has been campaigning for many years for captioning on centrally produced university videos. The process of adding subtitles to videos has already begun, but the University’s new captioning policy means all videos will now have them.

Thomas Ron, Disabled Students’ Officer, was pleased to see this “vital change” take place. He told Nouse: “I am delighted the University has listened to the students who have consistently lobbied for subtitles for a long time. This is yet another step showing that this university is committed to helping all students.”

Naomi Barrow, Disabilities and Access Rep for Vanbrugh College, similarly called the move a “positive step”. She said: “Captioning videos will be incredibly beneficial to a range of students at the University, including but not limited to those with disabilities and those who have English as a second language.”