Week Four: Sporting news in brief

We take a snappy look at some of the sports news going around campus this week

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

We put an ear to the ground and take a quick look at the sports news doing the rounds on campus this week…

Lamberts to dine with BUCS

University Vice-chancellor, Koen Lamberts, has been invited to dine with Professor Ian Diamond, chair of BUCS. The meeting was facilitated by Cass Brown, who currently serves on the BUCS board of directors. The breakfast will be an opportunity to discuss sporting opportunities for York.

Alumni Mentor Scheme begins

Cass Brown has confirmed that a York Sport Alumni Mentor Scheme will begin this term. Ten places are available for captains of York sport teams, of which seven have already been filled. Each captain taking part will be paired with a York alumnus who had similar experiences of leading a team whilst at the University.

Committee’s Annual goals

The York Sport Committee has established five goals for this year. These include increasing Committee visibility; improving candidate diversity in York Sport elections, and developing fundraising activities. They also aim to increase attendances at matches and ensure a strong display at Roses.

Athletics track runs late

Nouse Sport understands that the new athletics track has slipped behind schedule. The track is being built on the site of the Old JLD, which was demolished during Summer Term. When the track is completed, it will be open to students and will be shared with the City of York Athletics Club.

BUCS season underway

The new BUCS season got underway this week. Badminton and hockey stole the headlines, with all of their teams remaining unbeaten. It was a tougher start for men’s football and men’s rugby, but it remains early days yet.