Derwent opens room to non-residents

The room contains a kettle, microwave and a fridge to allow students to reheat food and make hot drinks

Derwent College has decided to make one of its rooms a place for off­-campus students to use between classes. An email sent out last week from Jennifer Underhill, Dean of Derwent College, contained a link allowing students to register to use the Derwent Corner Room (D/M/014).

Photo Credit: Derwent

Photo Credit: Derwent

Only people who completed the registration form, which was due in last Friday, will have access to it.

The Derwent Corner Room will be available to use from the end of Week Four. Students who have been granted access to the room will be able to use it for the rest of the academic year.
In the email, Underhill said that the intention was “to provide [them] with a space to eat lunch and relax while between lectures.”

There is now a fridge, kettle and microwave in the Derwent Corner Room to allow students to store and reheat their food and make hot drinks whilst on campus. However, Underhill reminded students that “it is a no alcohol room and is not to be used as a party space”.

There will also be a limited number of lockers where Derwent students can store their possessions.The lockers will be allocated on a termly basis although students will have the opportunity to reapply to use a locker at the end of term.

Speaking of Derwent’s plans to allow off­-campus students to use the Derwent Corner Room, a second­-year student living in private accommodation said: “It seems like an unnecessary addition when there are already sufficient facilities for off-­campus students at the University.”

Another second­-year student was more positive about the additional facilitates and said they thought that having kettles and microwaves on campus would be “useful” and “save time and money”, while a second-year student told Nouse: “It’s nice the University are making provisions for all of their students; it helps foster a sense of community between year groups.”