10K York Sport funding pledge granted

University of York Registrar, David Duncan, has pledged to plug any gap in funding for the York Sport Performance Programme up to a maximum of £10,000

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

It has been announced by Cass Brown, York Sport President, that a funding pledge of £10,000 has been made to the York Sport Union to secure the development of their fledgling Sport Performance Programme.

York Sport will initially make an application to YuFund to secure funding for the Programme, although it has been guaranteed by David Duncan, Registrar of the University, that any funding gap will be subsidised up to the £10,000 figure.

This gives an added layer of security to the new scheme, which is set to come into effect this term with a series of measures to aid the sporting development of the University’s sports clubs and a number of scholars.

Under the Programme, which is ran in conjunction with York Sport – the company which operates the University’s sports facilities – high-performing clubs will now receive support ranging from strength and conditioning training to a series of sports science workshops. Participating clubs will also receive discounted physiotherapy and massage sessions, as well as dedicated support from specifically trained coaches.

Meanwhile, the fifteen York Sport scholars, who were recently chosen by the York Sport Committee, will receive free gym membership and financial aid as part of the funding pledge. Nouse Sport understands that scholars will be split into ‘Black’ and ‘Gold’ tiers – named after the University’s sporting colours – and will receive varying degrees of financial aid.

The schedule for the Programme has now been confirmed by Brown, with the first workshop being held on Wednesday of Week Six; this will focus on how to developed high-performance strategies for teams.

There will also be workshops on sports nutrition, diet analysis, training regimes and alcohol in Autumn Term. The issues covered in Spring Term will include dealing with a poor streak of form, managing talented players and rest & recovery methods.

The Summer term will then see an emphasis on dealing with stress.

The development of the Performance Programme comes at a time when York Sport are investing heavily in new sporting infrastructure at the University in an attempt to raise York into the higher echelons of the BUCS national table.

New infrastructure includes the new athletics track and recent construction of the tennis dome and New JLD on the Heslington West campus; and the basketball courts and velodrome on Heslington East.

It has also been confirmed that the Tent at the back of James Sport Centre will undergo refurbishment in a sixth-month project which will commence in the earliest weeks of Summer Term.

A further series of measures have also been announced by the Union following the commencing of the university BUCS leagues last week.

To complement the introduction of the Performance Programme, the number of York Sport Focus Sports has been increased to six this year, and the latest batch of clubs to receive this status have now been finalised for the 2014/15 season.

Men’s rugby, lacrosse, water polo, futsal and both men’s and women’s football will enjoy the benefits of being a Focus Sport, meaning they will receive many of the advantageous features of the Performance Programme listed above.

However, they will also be in receipt of measures including match day physiotherapy, regular meetings with the Union to monitor progress, and dedicated space on the YUSU website.

The Focus Sport Scheme has demonstrated its value in recent years, as demonstarted by the strong showing of Lacrosse in 2013/14.

The Lacrosse Club enjoyed Focus Sport status last year, and it paid dividends for both the club and the University; both the men’s and women’s firsts teams won their BUCS leagues, securing promotion. They also won their Cup competitions. Speaking about the securing of funding, Cass Brown, York Sport President, told Nouse, “I’m so glad the University have decided to support the funding of this scheme.

“For so long we’ve been completely reliant on YuFund – it’s great to see them showing faith in it and I fully believe that’s because of all the hard work that’s gone into making it more professional than ever before.

“I’m delighted for this year’s focus sport clubs and the new scholars – I’m sure the scheme will give them the support they need.”