TV Review: The Flash Series 1 Episode 1: ‘Pilot’

This spin-off of Arrow is a strong addition to the DC universe. reviews

theflash1Rating: ★★★★☆

The spin-off from The CW’s popular show Arrow has finally aired. The long-awaited show, The Flash, stars Grant Gustin as the eponymous hero a.k.a Barry Allen who wakes up after a nine-month coma with the ability to run faster than anyone else. This ability is due to an accident involving a particle accelerator, which created other “metahumans” with other abilities. Barry not only has to deal with one of these “metahumans”, he also has to figure out what he wants to do with his new-found abilities whilst obsessing over who killed his mother when he was a child.

Gustin quickly squashed any doubts about his acting abilities with his likeable and engaging performance. The talented Tom Cavanagh as the intriguing Dr. Harrison Wells, Danielle Panabaker as Dr. Caitlin Snow and Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon join him. We also see some of Barry’s personal life with Candice Patton playing his best friend, Iris West, and her father Detective Joe West (Jesse L. Martin).

In addition to its talented cast, The Flash also has a captivating plot. The writers clearly have a firm grasp on the elements needed to capture an audience. The only issue with the pilot was the amount of storyline in a single episode. The pilot alone established Barry’s backstory, his origins, his first foe and introduced several characters. As a result, the villain wasn’t as imposing as he could have been.

Fans of Arrow have already met Barry, Cisco and Caitlin but they are treated to the appearance of Oliver Queen as the Green Arrow in the episode. However, even people who aren’t fans can appreciate and enjoy the show. The same is true for people who have never read any of the DC comics.

The Flash is enjoyable for those who are a fan of the genre and should definitely be checked out. The new show offers something entertaining for DC and non-comic fans alike. I, for one, will continue watching to see how the writers and producers continue developing the characters and the mythology surrounding not only both shows but the rest of the DC universe as well.

1. 21 Oct ’14 at 4:27 pm

DisgruntledDClover

A backdoor pilot doesn’t make something a spin-off. And frankly calling The Flash derivative of Arrow is a bit offensive to DC canon. Check your facts next time.