York women’s hockey firsts in stalemate

In their first outing of the season, the women’s hockey first team played out a goalless draw against a strong Sheffield Hallam side

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN’S FIRSTS 0-0 SHEFFIELD HALLAM WOMEN’S FIRSTS
BUCS Northern 2B

James Hostford

In a game that lacked thrilling end-to-end drama, the women’s hockey first team put in a solid display in their first league outing of the season to record a goalless draw against a strong Sheffield Hallam side.

The opening stages of the match, in rather typical fashion for an early season fixture, were void of any real attacking play from either side.

With neither side posing much of an attacking threat, both sides settled and attempted to build up play from the back. However, misplaced passes from both teams meant that any forward momentum was hard to come by.

Mid-way through the first half, Hallam’s attacking midfielder posed a few problems to the York side. However, centre back Izi Hutchinson was often on hand to intercept the ball and shut out any threat posed by the Hallam player.
York started to grow into the game later on in the first half and the result of this meant that York’s wide players started to pose some problems to the Hallam defence.

Full back Alice Young made a strong run down the left wing and struck a good, strong hit into the Hallam D. However, her effort was subsequently seen out of play by the Hallam defence.

On the other side of the pitch, just a few moments later, winger Rosie Cordingley made a swift run into the Hallam D. However, her shot was saved by the Hallam keeper.

As the game started to become more fluid, Hallam also started to pose more of an attacking threat to the York defence. Hallam’s forward managed to break free of her marker and receive the ball inside the York D to go one-on-one with keeper Liz Furber before she was stopped in her tracks with a vital interception.

The deadlock remained unbroken when the half time whistle blew, however, it did not take long for the second half to come to the boil as the York girls resumed play with added intensity, noticeably endeavouring to hustle their opponents when Hallam were in possession.

It took until the middle of the second half for the first penalty corner of the match to be given, the decision going Hallam’s way. The penalty corner was poorly struck and provided Furber with a comfortable save.

However, the ball then touched the foot of one of the York defenders leading to a second successive penalty corner for Hallam, whose subsequent shot drifted well wide of the goalmouth.

Hallam then had their third penalty corner of the afternoon awarded to them, but history repeated itself and they failed to register any sort of shot from the corner.

York had two chances to snatch a victory at the end of the game, the first falling to captain Katie Penrose who made a fantastic, darting run down the left wing before cutting into the D. Her shot was then saved by Hallam’s keeper, who had had a solid afternoon, repeatedly saving York’s shots.

Moments later, Minerva Saner made a similar run down the left and after beating a Hallam defender, fired off her shot. However, it was determined that the game would finish a goalless draw when Saner saw her shot saved by the Hallam keeper.

After the match, Katie Penrose spoke to Nouse about the match telling us that, “it was a good start to the season.” Penrose then went on to say how she was happy with the draw and that she hoped her side would register their first win in their next fixture.

York: Furber, Hutchinson, Woodruff, Young, Bird, Atkinson, O’Brien, Warmington, Penrose (C), Saner, Page. Subs: Cordingley, Sedgewick, Parker.

Player of the Match: Izi Hutchinson