Live Preview: Breakz

A sneak preview from on Breakz

10371478 10152717572319725 8478185105118793569 n

Having hosted the likes of Spectrasoul, Icicle and Paleman last year, as well as being part of the large scale Nightvision York event’s Breakz are back this term with headliner Ivy Lab on the 11th October. On the 11th of October headliners Ivy Lab make their way into York.

The London based collective Sabre, Halogenix and Stray have formed a trio that is a force to be reckoned with. Bursting into the scene with their 2012 release “oblique”, the blissful and atmospheric tune with its thumping bassline can only be described as a concoction of music that is anything but formulaic. Best of all, the arrival of Ivy Lab comes with it Critical Records debut in our very own and newly refurbished Mansion. The label which has undoubtedly been at the forefront of its game has constantly been pushing the envelope since 2002 under label boss Kasra. Playing homage to the likes of Enei, Calibre and mefjus having hosted nights in top venues such as Thekla and Fabric, this forward thinking label possesses with it a stream of accolades. Expect to hear some of their newer half-time hip hop based tunes from their recent 20/20 EP.

With a stated aim of “showcasing the emerging fusions of drum and bass, hip hop and future soul”, expect an exciting palette of music, some well executed mixing and a deserving sound system to compliment it. Snap up your tickets asap to avoid disappointment. This event is being run by Breakz, a DJ society based at the University of York who also provide speakers for private hire.