Q&A with Jen Long

We chat to Jen Long, former Radio One DJ and host of the BBC Introducing show

jenally

What are the must-have songs for a fresher’s playlist?
Jesus, when I went to uni it was The Darkness.  If I was going to uni this year I’d get some Royal Blood on there, some Courtney Barnett, new Pulled Apart By Horses, and of course, Taylor Swift­—Shake It Off. Don’t be that guy putting Beatles number ones on at 2am.

Up and coming bands to introduce to your new flatmates?
Great question! And a great way to impress your new pals. I would suggest Jack Garrett, Spring King, The Garden, Prides, Rae Morris, Lauren Aquilina and Cut Ribbons.

What do you wish you had known as a fresher?
Don’t start the night with shots.

Good songs to help wake up for lectures?
Beastie Boys. I’d love to wake up to Fight For Your Right.

Favourite bands/genre of music at the moment?
My favourite bands are Los Campesinos!, The Joy Formidable, Deftones, Why?, The National, Haim, Chvrches and forever, Sonic Youth. I mostly like overtly sentimental indie rock.

What was your favourite festival this summer?
READING FESTIVAL.

Can you explain what Dice does?
Yeah, totally. DICE is a new ticketing app we’ve just launched. It’s only in London at the moment and is run by fans for fans. We have the best gigs in London with no booking fees. We were basically all just pissed off with giving massive companies fairly substantial amounts of money to do pretty much nothing. Most of that money never goes to the band, and the ones who really care about their fans always hate to see the mark ups. Download it for iOS or Android and have a look even if you’re not in London. Hopefully we’ll be in a city near you soon.

Who would headline your dream Freshers’ ball?
Probably Cyndi Lauper and she’d play Time After Time and I’d pretend I was in Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion.

Don’t start the night with shots.

Which artists are the most worth following on Twitter?
I used to love Gold Panda. I work with Summer Ghost and he’s hilarious.