Introducing… York’s music scene

’s recommendations for the best local and student bands in York

York focuses on local talent, and a lot of that talent is right here at the University itself. Here’s Alex Donaldson’s recommendations for the best local and student bands you should keep your eyes out for this year.

Photo Credit: Jelly Roll Jive

Jelly Role Jive offer vintage rock ‘n’ roll at it’s very best.One of the best live bands the University of York has to offer, they’ve became a staple at popular events like Itchy Feet and the YUSU Summer Ball. Oh, and they wear leopard print braces. Enough said.

Photo Credit: Donkey Zoo

Donkey Zoo are the brainchild of York University student Benjamin Turner and an award winning jazz band. With an inspired mix of instrumental numbers and guest vocalists, Donkey Zoo mix their own original numbers with genre-bending covers.

Photo Credit: Orange International

Orange International are a funk rock collective formed in January 2013. All living here in York, these five students hail from around the globe. This year will see them assert themselves as a live force in York and begin recording their debut album.

Photo Credit: The Franceens

The Franceens are an impressive garage punk outfit and set to be the biggest band from York since Shed Seven. Check out their debut album, Stepford Smiles, on Bandcamp and head to The Fulford Arms on
October 18th to catch them live.