A fresh education
Quiz your flatmates with these lesser known York facts from Katy Sandalls
Photo Credit: Kate Mitchell
- A university in York was first proposed to King James I nearly 400 years ago, but it didn’t open its doors until 1963, when it had just 230 students and 6 departments.
- 1974 saw a mock Battle of Trafalgar on the lake. Unfortunately, oil and paint bombs meant that RAG had to pay for the lake to be dredged.
- Jimi Hendrix performed in Langwith dining hall in 1967. It was renamed Hendrix Hall in 2012.
- In 1987 the University had a dating agency called Fix it! but sadly it never caught on.
- Heslington Hall is the oldest building on campus—construction began in 1568.
- In 1990, the Alcuin Separatists painted a giant pair of scissors onto University Road in an attempt to cut themselves off from the rest of campus.