Week One: Sporting news in brief

All of this week’s sporting news in brief as the new term gets underway

york sport union website banner

We take a quick look at the snippets of sports news doing the rounds on campus over the last few days…

Football League Revolution
Dave Washington and Mel Turner, College Sport Officers, have announced that the newly-restructured Football League will be sponsored by Revolution. The Coney Street Bar will have the naming rights, meaning that the divisions will be known as the Revolution Premier Division, and Revolution Divisions One, Two and Three.

Top 40 is the target again
After Cass Brown, York Sport President’s successful #Top40 campaign last season, designed to push York into the top 40 positions in the national BUCS league table, she has announced that the same target would be a fantastic effort this time around. York finished 38th in the National League table in 2014, with 11 promotions on the board.

Key Contacts to expand
Following the success of Cass Brown’s flagship Key Contacts Scheme last year, which aimed to increase inclusivity amongst York clubs for disabled and LGBTQ students, it has been announced that it will return for 2014/15, beginning in Week 4. Twice as many clubs will take part this time with a total of twenty overall involved, and the scheme will be spearheaded by Anna Cook, the YUSU Sport Development Officer.

Football friendly
Halifax and James football firsts will be hosting a friendly on Wednesday, 1st October at 22 Acres, starting at 5pm. The match is designed to increase participation by encouraging freshers and other students who haven’t previously experienced College Sport to go down to the match, watch the game and enjoy the experience.

Bring on the Wall
For the start of the new academic year, us lot at Nouse Sport are challenging Chris Wall, YUSU Activities Officer, to raise sponsorship by doing a quick taster of all 62 sports clubs on offer at York. We hope Chris can raise some money for Raising and Giving (RAG) Week in January, and when he’s done, we will get in touch and find out what he thought of the sports on offer at the University.