Sport Performance Programme confirmed

Cass Brown, York Sport President, has confirmed a new Sports Performance Programme which will benefit York clubs, whilst the number of Focus Sports has also been increased this year

Image: Alex Byron

Image: Alex Byron

The York Sport Union have confirmed the launch of a new Sport Performance Programme, which aims to support the University’s elite sports teams by using measures to promote sporting excellence.

The Programme will be run in conjunction with York Sport, and aims to promote excellence by offering support and training to some of the highest performing athletes and clubs.

The measures involved include strength & conditioning training, guidance and support from dedicated York Sport staff members, discounted physiotherapy and massage sessions, and a series of sports science workshops to maximise the fine margins involved in sport that can make the difference between victory and defeat.

Meanwhile, it has also been confirmed the number of York Sport Focus Sports for the season will increase from five to six. This status allows chosen clubs access to all of the features of the Performance Programme, as well as a matchday physiotherapy service.

Clubs who enjoyed the benefits of being a Focus Sport last year included Lacrosse, with both men’s and women’s firsts teams enjoying League and Cup success, and men’s rugby, who had a successful debut Premier League season by finishing comfortably in mid-table.

To complement these new measures, York Sport will be taking on 15 sports scholars, each of whom will receive funding from the Union to aid with developing their sporting abilities. Successful candidates will have to demonstrate excellence in their chosen sport, and must be able to represent the University at a high level.

Speaking about the new Programme, Cass Brown, York Sport President, told Nouse, “I’ve revamped the performance programme this year to be a much more meaningful and impactful scheme. In my manifesto I said I wanted to improve it by being resourceful and working closely with the community and the University which I’ve managed to do. Good luck to those clubs and athletes applying!”