Hockey Club prepared as new season begins

With the new BUCS campaign just around the corner, chats to Hockey Club president Hermione Warmington about their chances for the season

The University’s hockey club (UYHC) is one of the largest clubs on campus. With six teams overall and both men’s and women’s hockey teams all belonging to the same club, UYHC are a force to be reckoned with. We spoke to club president Hermione Warmington about the forthcoming season as she tells us the new direction that the club is heading in.

“We have a fantastic coach who will be going into his second year with us, Simon Law. Simon has created a fantastic development plan for the club, starting this year, which will hopefully see promotion throughout the club in the next three years.

“Fitness this year is also going to improve dramatically, with Katie Penrose and Tiarnan Cotter already proving themselves with a brutal but creative pre-season fitness programme.

“Recruitment this year will also mean the club is getting in a higher standard of players, with fresher Lyndsey O’Brian already securing a place within the ladies XI. We also have a fantastic committee, and some seriously good players captaining our six teams!”

Hermione is very clear that UYHC are striving to get their teams promoted into higher leagues. “The ladies XI are confident of promotion and both men’s and ladies teams throughout the club will push hard for the coveted BUCS promotion. A strong BUCS Cup run is also on the cards. Other than that, a good fresher intake is our primary concern, paired with keeping UYHC social scene the best on campus!”

In terms of what UYHC can offer first-years, Hermione tells us that, “UYHC is one of the biggest and best clubs on campus. We are an inviting, friendly and fun group of people, who play hockey nearly as well as we party. If you are looking for a fantastic standard of hockey, competing at a high level, we have that. If you are looking for a good standard of hockey with a great social scene, we also have that.

“We welcome first years of all abilities, plus we have really strong connections with college hockey. UYHC compete for the most amount of points at Roses, which also makes us the most important club on campus.”

UYHC is clearly one of the biggest clubs both on the pitch and in Salvation on a Wednesday night. The club has been training hard during pre-season to prepare for what will hopefully prove to be a big year. With dreams of promotion, as well as the desire to have a strong cup run all coupled with a new direction that the club’s coach is putting into place, UYHC seem set for a big season!