York’s alternative student media in list of the country’s best

The Huffington Post has included two societies from the University of York in their list of the best of alternative student media.

The list, which was created to highlight unconventional media outlets from universities across the UK, commended both York PEN and Chat Politics.

huffington post

York PEN is the York branch of the global organisation English PEN branded as “special” by the Huffington Post.

Founded in 2012, the society campaigns for the release of imprisoned writers all over the world through campaigns, petitions, and letters to governments.

Their termly events include poetry readings, exhibitions, and panel debates.

The big draw to the York branch in particular is their online blog which is updated regularly.

Connor Briggs, Co-Chair of York PEN, said: “York PEN is very proud to be included in the list of best alternative student media – the website has been a collaborative effort from all members of the committee, and those affiliated with York PEN.

“We feel that it had been a very successful year for the website, and we are very excited to implement our plans for the site in the upcoming year.”

“We’re sure it will continue to expand and provide interesting and engaging material.”

Chat Politics, which reached an impressive third on the list, was set up by two University of York students with the aim of making politics more accessible.

Their past interviewees include Nick Clegg, Evan Davis, and Alastair Campbell.

They have recently also launched Chat Life which focuses on presenters, writers, and comedians.

Oscar Pearson, co-founder of Chat Politics, said: “It’s top news that York is recognised as a strong student journalism base but also now as the home of alternative media.
“It means there’s something for everyone.”