York falls five places in Times league table

The University of York has fallen five places in the Sunday Times Good University Guide

The University of York has fallen five places in the Sunday Times Good University Guide.

central hall

The University was ranked 16th, behind the likes of Surrey, Lancaster, Loughborough, East Anglia, and Birmingham, after being placed in 11th position last year. York also fell six places in the QS World Rankings.

Cambridge was ranked third in the world with Imperial, followed by Oxford in joint fifth with University College London.

King’s College London and the University of Edinburgh were also included in the top 20.

This results come a year after the University of York was ranked among the top UK universities under 50 years old in the Times Higher Education Rankings.

In the under 50 rankings, York was ranked seventh globally, the only UK institution in the top ten ahead of Warwick in 13th and Lancaster in 14th place.

In terms of international rankings, York did not fare better, falling six places in the QS World Rankings.

While four UK universities made it into the top ten, York fell from 114th to 120th, with an overall score of 65.1 in the 2015 rankings.

York is currently ranked as 16th nationally in The Guardian’s tables and 14th in the Complete University Rankings.

Sam Maguire, YUSU President, said: “Certain fluctuations in the University’s standing both nationally and globally is to be expected.

“However, the decline not only this year but over the past number of years needs to be tackled. I have confidence in the University’s plans to turn it around as set out in their strategy and expect York to progress in the rankings over the next five years.”

George Offer, Academic Officer, reacted in a similar way. He told Nouse: “Although this isn’t great news, higher education is very competitive, and we need to make sure we continue to step up at York to stay on top. We’ll be doing lots of work with our students and the University this year to make sure we climb back up.”

A University of York spokesperson said: “There will always be year-to-year fluctuations in University performance and league table position depending both on local factors and what is going on elsewhere in the sector.

“For instance, last year, we went up from 13 to 11 in the Times/Sunday Times league table. York remains a strong University, committed to excellence in teaching and research and to delivering research-led teaching.”

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings will be published on 1 October.

1. This really is an issue to be addressed from the top all the way down to the bottom. It’s all very well Sam (elected on merit of being Irish) saying a strategy is in place, but what does this entail? A degrees’ true value is only really derived from the institution it is awarded from.

The author of this article really should have considered delving into the topic rather than stating the obvious.

Have they located issues, are they addressing them?
    How are they attracting more students? Thus being able to increase admission criteria.
    How are they allocating department funding ?- increase research productivity and quality, attract more top academics, providing academics with more time to research
    Student satisfaction? Departments should be addressing issues early on through feedback questionnaires & meetings, fixing any course issues
    How can we improve facilities for our students?
    How can we improve the university’s public perception to compete with other top universities?

There are both minor issues and major issues that can be addressed; some with novel solutions and others with complex solutions. Where is the insight in this article? Are we just sitting on our tod hoping for the best? Probably but that’s just my 2 cents.