University events for World Mental Health Day announced

The University will be hosting a variety of events on 10 October for World Mental Health Day

Plans are underway for this year’s World Mental Health Day which will take place on Friday 10 October.

The day, which is being organised by a team of students led by Naomi Barrow, Disability and Access Rep for Vanbrugh College, will involve a range of stalls being set up in YourSpace in James College between 10pm and 4pm.

Mental Health

The event is being backed by several charities and organisations, including Neuro Partners and Survive, a York based charity which provides support to women and men who have survived child sexual abuse, rape or sexual assault.

Lifeline, a charity which helps people affected by drug and alcohol addictions, will give students the opportunity to play Jenga whilst wearing beer goggles.

Services from the University will also be present throughout the day, including the Open Door team, Unity Health and Nightline.

Barrow has worked with YUSU and Open Door to ensure all events have been properly assessed.

One of the day’s events involves Kevin, the Nightline Mascot, hiding around campus.

Students who find him will be encouraged to take selfies with the cow and post their photos on social media using the hashtag #FindKevin.

‘Happiness bags’ containing items such as a piece of string ‘to hold things together when they fall apart’ will also be handed out to people.

In addition, students will be encouraged to write things which relax them or help with cope with difficult situations on ‘paper butterflies’ which will then be displayed around campus.

There are plans to end the day with a concert in the evening, but details are yet to be confirmed.

Barrow told Nouse: “For this year’s World Mental Health Day, we’re focusing on the idea that everyone has mental health and we all need to look after our mental health in the same way as we look after our physical health.

“We’ve got a range of organisations involved as well as a number of different student-led events. I’m incredibly thankful for all of the support we have received from everyone involved, particularly from the Open Door Team.

“We look forward to seeing you there on the day!”

The day is being funded in whole by vInspired, registered charity no. 1113255.

Thomas Ron, Disabled Students’ Officer, said: “Mental Health is a major issue and every year the Disabled Students’ Network puts on an event to raise awareness about this important issue.

“This year I am delighted that Naomi Barrow has stepped up to the plate to run this event and give it the importance it deserves.

“Already looking at the plans and the people that this event has engaged I hope it will be a great success and I am so happy so many people have been involved in it.

“Hopefully we can build from this day into more events and camwpaigning opportunities.”

Last year’s Mental Health Awareness Week events included a ‘Living Library’ and the introduction of the ‘#goodday #badday’ social media campaign.