Fifth Looking Glass Anthology launched

The creative writing anthology will be launched on 11 October

THE fifth instalment of the The Looking Glass Anthology, a collection of fiction written and produced by students at the University of York, will be officially launched on 11 October.

looking glass

The launch will be celebrated with a party at the Norman Rea Gallery at 7pm where extracts from the book will be read out. There will also be live music and drinks deals.

The cover of the anthology, which is split into five parts, features a photograph of campus taken by Heather Lysiak, a third year English and Philosophy student.

The book also contains illustrations drawn by Kate Mitchell, a third year History student and Graphic Director of Nouse.

Elisabeth Shuker, Editor in Chief of The Looking Glass Anthology, said: “I have loved heading up Looking Glass this year, the editorial meetings have been great fun.

“I hope that everyone who came along has enjoyed being part of creating something so brilliant. The quality of submissions was at an all-­time high … So thank you, and please keep on writing!

“We have achieved a lot this year, what with our YuStart campaign and the illustrations (yes, there are illustrations in this one!) It has been a privilege.”

The Looking Glass Anthology was founded in 2009 by David Zendle and a new volume has been published very year since. It was the first creative writing anthology created for and by students at the University of York.

The society which makes the book decided to start publishing the anthology instead of printing it during the production of Volume Four, so every new volume now has it own ISBN number.

This year, over £600 was raised through YuStart, the university’s crowd­funding platform, to help The Looking Glass Anthology to become a self-­sufficient society.

Emma Bowler, Head of Publicity, said: “Our launch party and huge publicity drive for our new volume will hopefully draw some attention to the incredible work students are doing all year round on The Looking Glass.

“It will also help us to sell enough copies of this year’s edition of the anthology to print next year’s, and thus become a truly self­-sufficient society at the University of York.”