Cooking in numbers

shows you the perfect recipe to cook in a group

This is a perfect recipe for post-freshers’ week, when you’re starting to sober up and decide it’s time to get to know your housemates a little bit better. Whether you’re a fresher looking to impress, or a third year who just wants a home cooked meal, this is a great dish to cook as a group.

PhotoCredit:yoppy

PhotoCredit:yoppy

Crispy chicken with ratatouille and mashed potatoes (serves 6)

6 chicken thighs (one per person)
6 drumsticks, (one per person)
2 tbsp of oil
1 red pepper
1 courgette
1 aubergine
salt and pepper (to season)
4/5 tbsp plain flour
6 large potatoes
100ml milk
1 tbsp butter
3 onions
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp mixed herbs
3 cans chopped tomatoes

1. Preheat the oven to 200°c. Prepare the chicken coating by putting the flour on a small plate. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper. Coat the chicken pieces in the mixture.
2. Heat a splash of oil in a pan. Once hot, add the chicken and leave to sizzle and crisp. Flip when the coating is golden brown.
3. Place the chicken onto a baking tray and into the pre-heated oven.
4. Next, chop the potatoes into 2cm cubes and place into a pan of boiling water. Boil for half an hour.
5. Start on the ratatouille. Finely slice the onions and garlic and fry in a pan with a splash of oil, stirring frequently.
7. Chop the peppers, courgette and aubergine and add to the pan. Continue to stir.
8. When the vegetables begin to soften, add the canned tomatoes and a teaspoon of mixed herbs. Leave to simmer.
9. When the potatoes are soft (check this by piercing with a knife), drain off the water. Add the butter and a splash of milk and mash together.
10. Check the chicken is cooked, then you’re ready to serve!