University shortlisted for Times Higher Education Award

The University has been recognised for its ‘Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development’

The University of York has been nominated for the Times Higher Education Award for Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development. The award is sponsored by the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education.

Times Higher Education

The University received its nomination for its Collaborative Leadership Programme, which was introduced in 2013 to “improve academic department leadership capability in the context of the University’s aspiration to become a truly world class research institution”.

The programme, which was created by the Leadership Development Team with the help of Academic Coordinators and Elementa Leadership, involved a specifically designed diagnostic model based around a “World Class Department” which was used to assess individual departments in the University. This resulted in a detailed report which provided a framework for discussion.

Pat Lofthouse, Director of Human Resources, told Nouse: “We are very pleased that our team focussed Collaborative Leadership Programme has been shortlisted for a Times Higher Education award… The aim is to build the capability and confidence of the management teams in academic departments, to face the challenges and changes of the new higher education environment.”

As part of the programme, three academic department management teams from different disciplines worked together in an initial workshop, offering challenge and support to each other in identifying “critical issues”. Coaching was then offered to ensure that the plans were effectively translated into action.

Academic Coordinators and Professors Brian Fulton, Mark Ormrod and Stuart Bell released a joint statement which said: “The programme has provided a transformative experience both for the direct participants and for their Departments at large. It has allowed colleagues consciously to consider their roles and responsibilities, their desire to maintain and enhance purposeful collegiality, and their need for clear and consistent forward planning. A particular strength is the integration of academics and support staff in the common enterprise of excellence.”

The University of York will face competition from the University of Cumbria, De Montfort University, Durham University, the University of Stirling and Edge Hill University, which has also been shortlisted for University of the Year.

According to the Times Higher Education website, the Awards recognise “exceptional talent, dedication and innovation across the board, from research to widening participation, teaching to entrepreneurship”.

The winners will be announced on 27 November at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel.