Josh Widdicombe announced as Comedy Night headliner

Widdicombe will be supported by Nathan Caton and Andrew Ryan

Josh Widdicombe, co-host of The Last Leg, has been announced as the headline act for this year’s YUSU Freshers Comedy Night.

Comedy Night

He will be joined by Nathan Caton and Andrew Ryan, the two support acts for the night, which will take place on 5 October in Central Hall.

Widdicombe, who is a regular panellist on Mock the Week, also co-writes and stars in his own sitcom, Josh, which follows the lives of three friends who share a flat owned by an “irritating” landlord played by Jack Dee.

A 15-minute pilot was aired earlier this summer as part of the BBC’s Comedy Feeds and BBC Three have now commissioned a full six part series for next year.

Caton has also been a panellist on Mock the Week, as well as making appearance on the BBC Radio 4 topical comedy programme The Now Show. Both Caton and Ryan have featured on Russell Howard’s Good News.

Tickets for the YUSU Comedy Night cost £12 and are available on the YUSU website. Students can alternatively buy a Weekend Ticket for £35, which will also get them entry into Live & Loud, the annual “alternative freshers’ ball [with] a informal festival theme [sic]”.

Last year’s Comedy Night, which featured Seann Walsh and Sara Pascoe, was so popular that YUSU organised another one for Refreshers Week. The second Comedy Night of the year took place in January in the Roger Kirk Centre and was headlined by Paul Chowdry.