Maguire reveals Courtyard closure announcement was false

The bar is actually being refurbished and an ale tap is being installed

Sam Maguire, YUSU President, has revealed that an announcement made on the YUSUBars Facebook page claiming The Courtyard was closing was a hoax and that the bar is actually being refurbished.

The Courtyard

A post made on Friday evening said that the University had made the “difficult decision” to take over some of the social spaces on campus to make more room for teaching facilities due to an increase in the number of students attending the University.

However, Maguire told Nouse that the post was actually a publicity stunt, and The Courtyard is currently undergoing renovations which include the installation of an ale tap and new furniture.

YUSUBars’ post stated that the fictitious expansion of Hendrix Hall “regrettably means that, effective immediately, the Courtyard will cease to trade” before going on to say: “We would like to thank you all for your custom over the last five years. So let’s all raise a glass to the Courtyard’s legacy!”

The news caused outrage and surprise amongst students, with one commenter saying “What utter nonsense. Bring it back immediately.” Another commenter posted “Why close the university best on-campus bar?!” whilst one student said they were “heartbroken”.

However, some people guessed that the announcement about The Courtyard was not true. One person commented: “Great effort, but the details don’t add up.” Maguire initially posted a status confirming the post was false, saying “Yusubars love a joke!” but deleted it shortly after.

He told Nouse: “The refurb will include a lot of repairs of wear and tear. They are refitting the bar and putting an ale tap in; we are also putting in some new furniture. The refurb will ensure what is the best loved bar on campus continues to be a great place to eat, drink [and] socialise for years to come.

“The ale tap particularly is something that students have wanted for a while and if they have any suggestions for how to improve any of our commercial outlets we would love to hear them.”

https://www.facebook.com/YUSUBars/posts/681622981935633

1. The ale tap will be nice.