Nouse celebrates 50th anniversary

The University of York’s oldest campus newspaper will be celebrating its anniversary with a ball

Nouse is inviting its past and current contributors to celebrate its 50th anniversary at the Hilton Hotel in York on 11 October.

Anniversary

Nouse was founded in 1964, just a year after the University of York was established, and is the University’s oldest society. Since its foundation, it has covered many university and York stories, while many of its alumni have gone to enjoy successful journalism careers at national papers such as The Times, The Independent and The Guardian, exposing some of the nation’s biggest news stories.

The black tie evening will include a three-course dinner, complementary wine, live music as well as the opportunity to view a fascinating 50th anniversary exhibition, showcasing some of Nouse’s most famous journalism and memories throughout the years. There will also be other surprise entertainment.

Harry Gallivan, Managing Director of Nouse, said: “We would like to welcome alumni and the present Nouse team, with up to one guest, to the event. Tables seat 12 and we encourage group bookings. We hope it will be a fantastic evening to celebrate the success our paper has achieved over the decades, and we are sure it will bring back fond memories for many of you!”

Tickets for alumni cost £45 and are now available. Current students can buy tickets for £41 on the YUSU website.

1. 21 Sep ’14 at 2:13 pm

christopher perry (nouse sponsor)

If Harry Gallivan had consulted me as one of the founding fathers of Nouse, (founded 1965 not 1964) I would have registered strong objection to what seems a very extravagant and expensive elitist celebration of a publication that under the Labour Government of 1964 on was never that and should not be it now. There should have been a reunion at The Light Horseman near to where the name Nouse was adopted or better still O’Neills near to the journalists of 1965 who helped us get it started. Tickets should have been £5 and affordable for all students. Either you are after sponsors or you are out to remember the founders but don’t get the two functions mixed up. Far too many of the events of 1963 were commemorated in 2013 with the aim of raising money rather than recalling with historical accuracy what went on then. All this black tie and balls nonsense seems to have gone to Nouse’s head in a way that makes those from the Sixties shake our head with dismay.