Glasshouse to be refurbished by the end of the month

Heslington East’s bar is set to have an improved look and feel to coincide with Constantine’s opening later this month

YUSU is refurbishing The Glasshouse in time for the next academic year. The renovations are expected to take two weeks and plans include new flooring, wallpaper and furniture.

Photo: Alex Byron

Photo: Alex Byron

The changes come after some students were initially dissatisfied with the cheap look the bar was given when it arrived on Heslington East two years ago.

Sam Maguire, YUSU President, made a statement in response to the upcoming changes: “The refurb in The Glasshouse is a positive improvement to the venue. It will allow us to improve the event experience and cater to the three colleges now on Hes East.”

The Union has refurbished several of its outlets in recent years, including its newest addition, The Kitchen at Alcuin, last January. The Glasshouse is supposed to share a similar ‘homely’ style.

Hayley Mackay, a second-year student and chef at The Glasshouse, told Nouse:I think it’s a great idea revamping the bar. The designs look great and I can’t wait to see it in person.”

The changes could increase the bar’s capacity, which will serve over 2,000 residents as Constantine opens its doors latest this month, becoming the third college on Heslington East.

1. This does look like a nice reno. I hope they also get better beers. But honestly, how are the Glasshouse and the Hub cafe going to cope with all the new students from Constantine? We do need another venue or two on Hes East!

2. 3 Sep ’14 at 10:37 am

Poor Old Langwith

So will Langwith ever actually get that Common Room?