Meet the Part-Time Officers: International Officer

talks to Aashna Sehgal, International Officer, about what her role entails and her plans for the upcoming year

What exactly do you do?

Aashna Sehgal

I’m the President of the International Student Association and the International Officer for our student union. My role basically requires me to ensure that the welfare of international students is well taken care of. This [includes] organising events, running campaigns [and] making sure international students are well represented and integrated in our university JCRCs, teams and societies.

What was your most memorable Freshers’ Week experience?

My most memorable freshers experience was probably staying in to watch 500 Days of Summer and eating Ben & Jerry’s out of a tub with a friend of mine instead of going out as usual and getting wasted.

What have you got planned for 2014/2015?

This year, apart from the usual Global Week, ISA is also organising a lot of trips to places such as Oxford, Edinburgh etc. which is a great way to explore the country.

What advice would you give to this year’s freshers?

Try to be as social as possible. It’s easy to feel apprehensive of making conversation but everyone is new and everyone is looking for friends to make, so don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, and always remember to remain honest with who you are despite all kinds of social and peer pressure. Stay safe and stay true!