York ‘sex attack’ claim was made up

The teenage girl who reported a sexual assault last week could now face charges after confessing the claim was made up

Ian Britton

Ian Britton

A teenage girl who claimed to have been sexually assaulted in York city-centre last Thursday, confessed that the incident never happened. She herself could now face charges.

Following the report, the police sealed off Friargate between Castlegate and Clifford Street and appealed for information. The 19-year-old woman claimed she had been attacked by two Asian men shortly after leaving Yates Wine Lodge.

Despite how the case turned out, police urge all victims of sexual assault to come forward and report it, so that offenders can be brought to justice.

DCI Matt Walker, York CID, told York Press: “The withdrawal of this allegation follows a detailed and thorough investigation by detectives.

“Although I am able to reassure people that this incident did not happen, I do not want any victims of this appalling crime to feel that we will not deal with their case with the utmost seriousness.

“We treat all reports of sexual assaults very seriously. In all cases, a key priority for the investigating officers is ensuring that the victims receive the care and support they need.”

1. Good to see that comment by the DCI at the end. Rape is a severely under-reported crime and stories like this could act as a discouragement to survivors coming forward. Good on you DCI Walker.