Wentworth College

Wentworth College shield

Wentworth is the only graduate college at the University of York and offers premier accommodation to postgraduates from around the world. Our residents currently come from over 50 countries creating an exciting and diverse community. The GSA (Graduate Student Association) is based in Wentworth and offers friendly support of all kinds, from academic and welfare to sports and social events. The Edge, our café-bar, offers the best food on campus and our Graduate Common Room Committee (GCRC) offers regular social events as well as opportunities to get involved in the running of our college. Our sports teams are friendly, open to all and going from strength to strength; most recently with Wentworth leading the way in the 2014 College Varsity against Durham.

The boring but important stuff

Premium En-suite: 51 week let, £131.18 per week
Economy standard room: 51 week let, 101.92 per week

En-suite studio flat: 51 week let, £157.85 per week

Food: Self-catered

Nearest departments: Sociology, Psychology and Biology

What made you choose your college in the first place?

My experience in choosing colleges was slightly different to most as I had previously been a member of Goodricke during my time as an undergraduate at York. I was looking for a change of pace from life on Heslington East however and with the fantastic diversity and opportunities afforded by Wentworth and the chance to live alongside other postgrads in good accommodation, it made the decision for me!

What are the rooms like?

Much of the college accommodation was rebuilt in 2001/2 when we became a Graduate College so the rooms are finished to a high standard. We have around 490 en-suite rooms (including 12 studio flats) in Wentworth A-D blocks with and off-campus residence (65-67 Fulford Road) which houses 15 postgrads in total. Each flat usually contains 6 rooms with 8 flats per block so there are plenty of opportunities to socialise with your neighbours! In regards to the kitchens all are fully equipped for self-catering and all contain a cooker, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster and fridge/freezer with enough space for everyone to have a shelf each, so there is no need to bring your own appliances.

Are you happy with where it is on campus?

Wentworth is located on the western edge of campus sandwiched between Walmgate stray and the campus lake, which makes for some fantastic morning views if you’re lucky enough to have a room facing either. These also provide you with some good opportunities to fraternise with the infamous campus wildfowl if you are so inclined! Although it may look a little out the way at first glance, we’re located in a prime location for access to campus facilities, departments, bars and only 5 minutes from a bus stop and the library. Being on the edge of campus means it’s also only a 15-20 minute walk into town which can be convenient if you need to get to the departments in King’s Manor.

Would you say it’s good value for money?

With the premium en-suite fees in excess of £130 a week, accommodation fees are a little on the expensive side. Unfortunately prices are high across campus at the moment so comparatively speaking Wentworth isn’t a bad deal considering our location, college experience and access to amenities.

Any things the prospectus didn’t even mention?

Wentworth is the dark horse of the University, as a postgrad only college we can often get overlooked by a majority of undergraduates so many don’t realise what a strong and vibrant community it holds. Our participation in inter-college events, Graduate committee and sports teams have gone from strength to strength over the last few years and it’s a great time to get involved and be part of Wentworth!

Any tips for new arrivals?

Work hard, play hard, in that order. As postgrads it’s important that we spend time on our studies but York is a fantastic city and the University plays host to some amazing societies and sports clubs. It would be a real waste not to experience any of what York has to offer and let your hair down on occasion, especially if you’re coming from overseas. So even if you take part in just one thing, make it count!