Meet the Part-Time Officers: LGBTQ Officer

talks to Maddie Boden, LGBTQ Officer, who claims she’s “morally opposed to being funny in print”

What exactly do you do?

Maddie Boden

The LGBTQ Network runs campaigns and events to provide support to LGBTQ students and representation for them across campus and the University as a whole.

We work on issues directly affecting us at York and wider campaigns at a national and international level. We try to make sure we keep a good mix of opportunities to socialise and have fun with campaigning and on the ground student activism.

Every LGBTQ student is automatically a member of the Network, no membership or dues necessary, so everyone is welcome to get involved from as soon as they get here. We’re always looking for volunteers and people with new ideas!

What was your most memorable Freshers’ Week experience?

Meeting someone on Viking [Raid] at about 8pm whose T-shirt said “Please return me to: the bins outside my block” and then actually seeing them passed out in said bins at around 4am.

What advice would you give to this year’s Freshers?

Don’t worry about taking a night off from the drinking events if you need to catch up on some sleep/not be drunk five consecutive nights. There are some really fun events on and off campus that are a little more chilled but still give you the opportunity to meet people and have the freshers experience.

What have you got planned for 2014/2015?

Just to list a few [things] we’ve got planned: Asexual/Trans* Awareness Weeks, a LGBTQ film festival, fundraising for World AIDS Day, a schools campaign to go into local schools to talk about LGBTQ experiences, joint socials with a number of societies and sports clubs, Sexposé (just ask a second or third year and they’ll fill you in on this), York Pride 2015, Student Pride, cross liberation intersectionality campaigns with Women’s Committee, Disabled Student’s Network, and Racial Equality Network, and much, much more!