Live Review: Out of the Blue

pops down to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival to review Out of the Blue

out of the blue

For anyone who has been active on social media this summer whether it be uploading holiday pics, or jealously scrolling through other people’s holiday pics, mention of Oxford’s all-male a capella group will certainly not be coming out of the blue. Out of the Blue’s Charity Single Hips Don’t Lie has had over 4 million views on YouTube after it went viral on Facebook and Twitter, with reviews from Graham Norton, who questioned their sexuality, and Shakira herself, who loved their medley of her songs. Both these comments were mentioned by the group in their show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, after a live performance of the YouTube hit – which was just as fun as the video, only missing the slow-mo topless shots.

This was the group’s 11th year at the Fringe, a festival perfect for such student-run groups, and since their appearance on Britain’s Got Talent in 2011 their fame just keeps growing, as it seems does their talent. Their musical set was faultless with a variety of songs including Keane’s Somewhere Only We Know, The Token’s The Lion Sleeps Tonight (which showcased a wonderful portrayal of numerous jungle animals), a mash-up of Queen’s Somebody to Love with Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody, and Lady Marmalade’s Soul Sisters. They even squeezed in a rom-com musical (or ‘Out of the Bluesical’, their pun not mine) in which a volunteer leading lady was sung at and danced around by the troupe of entertaining singers. Yet they also proved they weren’t just about the laughs, and with their rendition of Simon & Garfunkel’s The Sound of Silence threw a wall of pure sound and stunning harmonies at the audience.

As they said themselves you’d have to be truly miserable not to appreciate Out of The Blue even just a little bit, and not only are they brilliant performers but all their profits go to Helen & Douglas House in Oxford, the world’s first children’s hospice. Their synchronised slut-dropping, impressive vocal range, and charitable work have contributed to their critical acclaim, and are all reasons why they deserve no less than five stars. To check them out see the link below.
http://www.ootb.org.uk/

1. Brilliantly written review!