College Sport One-Day Tournaments confirmed

A series of One-Day Tournaments have been scheduled throughout the year, including the addition of a cycling day in the Autumn Term

Swimming is amongst the most popular of One-Day tournaments. Image: Alex Byron

Dave Washington, College Sport Officer, has confirmed the schedule for the coming academic year which sees the hugely successful College Sport One-Day Tournaments return to campus in 2014/15.

The One-Day Tournaments are traditionally some of the biggest highlights of the College Sport calendar, attracting plenty of participation and garnering real college spirit amongst players from across the University. It will be the first time that players from the new Constantine College will be able to take part.

The tournaments offer students the opportunity to compete in sports which do not have a current college league system in place, whilst also providing a good warm-up for College Varsity in the Spring Term, which will see York travel to Durham for the first time in 2015. Points earned in the One-Day Tournaments contribute to the overall College Sport League Table.

The schedule is kicked off early in the Autumn Term at the end of Week Three as Handball becomes the first event of the year, which will give Freshers their first taste of the tournament format at the University.

Two weeks later, a new addition to the tournament calendar – cycling – takes place on the Sunday of Week Five at the cycling track on Heslington East. The addition comes as the velodrome joins a raft of new sporting infrastructure to open at the University.

Cycling is added to the tournament calendar this year. Image: Philippa Grafton

The Autumn Term schedule is then rounded off on Saturday of Week Nine, as the futsal tournament takes place inside the Tent. Futsal has made headlines at the University in recent years; after travelling to Europe and winning their BUCS Northern league in 2013, the University Futsal club made their debut in the FA National Futsal League Division Two and won promotion in 2013/14. Under the guidance of manager Junior Roberti, they also finished second in the BUCS Premier Northern League, and made it to the semi-finals of the FA Futsal Cup.

After the winter vacation, the Spring Term schedule gets underway with the swimming tournament in Week Three. Last year’s event was a superb occasion, as Goodricke narrowly edged out Derwent to claim the title at York Sport Village. Following this, centre-stage is taken by the Disability Sport tournament, with Sitting Volleyball and Wheelchair Basketball on Sunday, Week Six. Another event may also be added for Week Nine, to be confirmed at a later date.

The Summer calendar is slightly quieter, with the Football and Hockey College Cups being the main focus of events. However, a dodgeball tournament is pencilled in for the end of Week Three, before the College Sport year is rounded off with the largest tournament of all – College Sports Day. The Sports Day takes place during Week Eight, and will be held on the all-new Athletics Track and Stadium. Alcuin were the winners on Sports Day in 2014, finishing just ahead of Vanbrugh on 22 Acres in June.

Alcuin won College Sport Day in 2014. Image: James Hostford

Speaking about the new College Sport schedule, Washington told Nouse, “”We have an exciting line-up of College a Sport One-Day Tournaments in store this year, with Rowing and Swimming always proving to be highlights.

“For the first time we have College Cycling, and I’m looking forward to seeing us make use of the excellent new cycling facilities.

“Hopefully we can also allow students to try new sports such as handball, Futsal and dodgeball for the first time, and at the same time benefit the University clubs.

“I’m sure that these will all be fantastic events, and I’d urge as many of you as possible to come down and represent or support your college.”

The full One-Day Tournament schedule is below.

Autumn Term

Sunday Week 3: Handball, Tent, 3pm-6pm
Sunday Week 5: Cycling, Cycle Track, Hes East, 1pm-4pm
Sunday Week 7: Rowing, Roger Kirk Centre, 7pm-10pm
Saturday Week 9: Futsal, Tent, 10am-3pm

Spring Term

Sunday Week 3: Swimming, Pool, 5pm-8pm
Sunday Week 6: Disability Sport (Sitting Volleyball/Wheelchair Basketball), Tent, 1pm-4pm
Sunday Week 9: TBC

Summer Term

Sunday Week 3: Dodgeball, Tent, 1pm-4pm
Wednesday Week 8: Sports Day, Athletics Track, 10am-4pm

Fixtures are subject to change.