York student crowned VX World Champion

Image: UoY VX Club

Image: UoY VX Club

A student from the University of York has been crowned the 2014 V2 World Champion in the developing sport of VX.

Jack Brown is currently going into his second year of an Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology course. He founded the VX club at the University and is the club’s head coach, and his efforts saw him selected to represent England in the V2 category at this year’s World Cup.

VX, a sport that was developed in Yorkshire, can be played in two formats, either in teams of five or in one-on-one matches, with the latter being the V2 format.

In a sport of considerable simplicity, a game of two halves of four minutes sees players attempt to hit their opponent with a tennis ball by using a stick with lacrosse-like scoops at each end – whoever hits their opponent the most, wins.

After championing the inaugural Universities V2 Championships held at the University of York, Jack Brown was appointed the head coach of the Universities England Squad and he has now claimed the biggest accolade in the sport.

Image: UoY VX Club

Image: UoY VX Club

Jack had to battle past the runner-up in last year’s youth tournament, a former world champion and last year’s runner-up before progressing from the group stages.

He went on to face Carl Alsop in the final, a player who had beaten the defending champion on his route the title decider. Carl plays with a contrasting style to Jack; where Jack is close and calculating, Carl is all-action with a high energy approach.

Nevertheless, Jack remained composed throughout and built up a 44-37 lead by half time, before winning the match 101-80.

Speaking of his success, a delighted Jack told Nouse, “This season has just been fantastic! My training has been perfect preparation for the World Cup with support from my original club Scunthorpe Hawks, my new club York Phoenix and the University of York Sports Scholarship, I honestly cannot thank these three enough for what they have allowed me to do and achieve.

“Winning the World Cup itself was just amazing, I’m still in shock that I actually did it and to have competed in my University of York VX Club’s new playing kit just made it even more enjoyable. All I know is that my training this year is going to be harder and more intense as I now look to hold onto this title for as long as possible!”