Meet the Part-Time Officers: Disabled Students’ Officer

talks to Thomas Ron, Disabled Students’ Officer, about his plans for the year

What exactly do you do?

thomas ron

My job is to represent the interests of all students who self-identify as disabled, are legally classified as disabled, or who use disability services to the University. I campaign on the behalf of these students as well as work to fight ablism and create a more tolerant atmosphere at the University for disabled students, by promoting the social model of disability. I also chair the Disabled Students’ Network, the primary campaigning organisation for disabled students. We meet every Wednesday and would welcome anyone coming in.

What was your most memorable Freshers’ Week experience?

My best Freshers [Week] experience is probably Viking Raid, given the sheer amount of alcohol consumed and the many bars frequented, a great night which will be oft repeated.

What have you got planned for 2014/2015?

Next year our Network will be hosting the Mental Health Awareness Day. if anyone is interested in getting involved early on please either contact myself ([email protected]) or Naomi Barrow ([email protected]) who is leading the event. We will also be hosting the third iteration of Access Your Future, an event where we bring in speakers from liberation backgrounds to talk about their experiences. Anyone who is interested in getting involved or could suggest a guest, please contact either myself or Josh Salisbury ([email protected]) or Zohra Khan ([email protected]). Finally, we are happy to take on new campaigns, and if anyone has any ideas for campaigns which they would like to see advanced, please get in touch with me.