Police investigate sexual assault in York

A young woman was sexually assaulted in an alleyway off Friargate on Thursday night

Police are investigating a case of sexual assault against a 19 year old girl in an alleyway off Friargate. The young lady was attacked from behind and sexually assaulted shortly after leaving Yates Wine Lounge at Church Lane on Thursday.

Police-tape-640x376

The incident took place at 9pm while the woman was walking towards the old fire station in Clifford Steet.

Detectives’ investigation so far seems to suggest that two suspects were involved in the serious attack. Both are described as Asian in their mid-twenties.

One of the suspects is believed to be very thin, with spiky hair, while the second man is described as being chubby.

According to Det Alan Rowan, of York CID, the young girl is receiving support while specially trained police officers continue their inquiries.

Det Alan Rowan also told York Press: “I am urging anyone else who was in the area at the time, and has not yet contacted us to do so straight away. I am particularly keen to speak to anyone who was waiting for a bus on Clifford Street between 9pm and 9.45 pm.”
A cordon has been placed around the alleyway which runs past the Job Centre between Castlegate and Clifford Street, until 2pm on Friday.

Anyone with information about the incident should call York CID on 101, select option two, and quote reference number 12140142651.