PhysSoc reaches fundraising target for National Physics Colloquium

PhysSoc have raised over £2,000 for the event after appealing for donations on YuStart and receiving a grant from the Ogden Trust

The University of York Physics Society has raised £2,010 in order to fund its annual student-led National Physics Colloquium in November, beating its target of £1,500 by almost 35 per cent.

physics

The society raised £510 on YuStart, the University’s crowdfunding platform, as well as receiving a £1,500 grant from the Ogden Trust, a charitable organisation which promotes the teaching and awareness of Physics.

Tim Simmons, Chief Executive of the Ogden Trust, told Nouse: “The Odgen Trust has been involved with the Physics Department at York for several years and is particularly interested in student-led activities.

“This colloquium has attracted a highly qualified group of contributors and I congratulate PhysSoc on putting it all together.”

After problems with YUSU funding for the last year’s event, PhysSoc decided to take a different approach to raise money for this year’s colloquium. In 2013, YUSU pulled funding for the event at the last minute, leaving Samuel Bourne, Chair of PhysSoc, £300 out of pocket after he covered costs himself.

The society’s appeal for donations on YuStart breaks down what the money will be spent on, including transport and accommodation costs for the guest speakers, AV equipment, and refreshments for guests.

Chris Wall, Student Activities Officer, tweeted about the event yesterday, saying: “Awesome news from @YorkPhyssoc about their Colloquium funding! Week 9 [sic] is going to be an awesome week for science!”

Week 8 of Autumn Term will be Science Week at the University. ComedySoc, URY and YSTV will host a comedy show on Sunday 16 November to kick the week off, and there will also be a Maths lecture. Then, from Monday 17 November, there will be nightly lectures from Psychology, Environmental Science, Biology, Electronic Engineering and Chemistry. The National Physics Colloquium will round off the week on Saturday November 22.

Speaking about the fundraising success, Bourne said: “It’s really exciting that the Ogden Trust and the kind donors to our YuStart are giving us this opportunity!

“The Colloquium this year is going to be so much better for the additional funding, not to mention capping off what looks to be a tremendous Science Week in collaboration with nine other YUSU societies.”