Top five games from Gamescom 2014

looks at five of the best titles of Gamescom 2014

Photo credit: Marco Verch on Flickr

Photo credit: Marco Verch on Flickr

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
For many years now Call of Duty has been viewed as a one trick pony.  Each game in the series is made up of a half-decent single player campaign coupled with reasonable online multiplayer.  With each addition to the series came less and less applause and excitement.  This culminated with CoD: Ghosts, which left even the most devoted fans wondering why they were still bothering with the series.  Now Sledgehammer Games hopes to breathe new life into the series with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, primarily through its use of a futuristic setting, and Kevin Spacey.

At this year’s Gamescom Advanced Warfare’s reveal trailer was packed with footage of lasers, invisibility devices, rocket jumps, lasers, hologram technology and more lasers.  It was hectic, explosive and for once it looked exciting.  Some gamers might say that all of this is just a little too similar to Halo, but let’s not dwell on that for too long.

Bloodborne
Dark Souls developer From Software’s new hack and slash game Bloodborne was one of the most interesting titles at this year’s Gamescom.  Hot on the heels of the massively successful Dark Souls II, Bloodborne is set to be released sometime in 2015.  The Gamescom trailer showed a game that is much darker than its predecessors, and twisted with a murky gothic style.  The trailer was promising, showing off the combat system as well as the beautiful visuals.

Unlike its predecessors, Bloodborne will feature a unique health regeneration system that allows players to regain health in the middle of combat, whilst encouraging offensive combat.  Despite this change, it seems likely that the infamous level of difficulty will not be turned down for Bloodborne.  Expect to die over and over.

FIFA 15
The FIFA series, like CoD, has experienced some stagnation recently.  The transition from FIFA 13 to FIFA 14 wasn’t exactly brilliant, as gamers were subjected to unbalanced through-balls, overpowered headers and the same old commentary as before (complete with the inane comments of Alan McInally).  FIFA 15 on the other hand is shaping up to be a big step forward for the series: ten player celebrations, dynamic match presentation, and emotional intelligence are just some of the feature EA Sports are implementing to bring the game to life.

One of the biggest changes coming to FIFA 15 will be the overhaul of goalkeeper mechanics.  EA Sports are promising over fifty new save animations, improved reactions and more realistic handling of the ball by goalies – this means more fumbles.  Let’s hope that EA Sports can avert a repeat of last year’s disappointment when FIFA 15 is released this September.

Far Cry 4
Anticipation for Far Cry 4 has been building ever since footage of Ubisoft’s action-adventure game was shown at E3.  This time two whole missions were on show at Gamescom, showing off some of the game’s new features as well as its stunning visuals.  Set in the fictional Himalayan kingdom of Kyrat, the locations in Far Cry 4 will vary greatly; one mission was set high up in the mountains, whilst another was set in the surreal world of Shangri-La.

Players can approach missions from several different angles, as is to be expected in any Far Cry game.  One of the most exciting features on view was the wingsuit, which allows players to fly down the side of those massive Himalayan mountains.  Players can also use bait to tempt wild animals such as bears into fighting their enemies for them.  Far Cry 4 will be released on November 18th.

Silent Hills
In a surprise move at this year’s Gamescom, Sony announced a new horror game called P.T., developed by an unknown developer, 7780s Studios.  An interactive trailer was released to coincide with the announcement, which was supposed to be the first of its kind.  Players walked down the same corridor again and again in a seemingly never-ending loop.  The hordes of cockroaches, bad lighting and the terrifying ghost seemed like something out of Twin Peaks.

Whilst the trailer was terrifying, it turned out to be part of a clever ruse.  After successfully completing the trailer’s puzzle, players discovered that this was in fact a demo for a new Silent Hill game.  Called Silent Hills (note the extra s), the game is being made by the unlikely duo of Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro.  Silent Hills will also feature The Walking Dead actor Norman Reedus.  All of this can only be taken as good news for fans of the series.  If the interactive trailer is anything to go by then Silent Hills has the potential to be one of the best horror games in years.